Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Can some math genius help me out?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Beans
    731
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Can some math genius help me out?

    OK, something just occurred to me. If I have 3 equal parts of something which are all part of one whole, according the 100% standard we have, If I were to separate them, they should grow exponentially. If I use 1/3 1/3 is .3333333. . . So how does one divide by 3s when it comes to percentages and math?
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    28

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    OK, something just occurred to me. If I have 3 equal parts of something which are all part of one whole, according the 100% standard we have, If I were to separate them, they should grow exponentially. If I use 1/3 1/3 is .3333333. . . So how does one divide by 3s when it comes to percentages and math?
    Your wrong. basically you have a 3rd of a 3rd of a 3rd....... its like the 1/2 paradox. if i walk hald the distance between you and me forever i will never actually reach you because you can keep dividing by 1/2's

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Beans
    731
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by markbabc View Post
    round up.
    But then if these three lines were part on one whole line:

    ---

    Mathematically, one would have to be bigger than the others or the sum of all three would have to be bigger than the whole. Yet, that is not happening.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    28

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    But then if these three lines were part on one whole line:

    ---

    Mathematically, one would have to be bigger than the others or the sum of all three would have to be bigger than the whole. Yet, that is not happening.
    You just cant divide something equally into 3 pieces.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Beans
    731
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by markbabc View Post
    Your wrong. basically you have a 3rd of a 3rd of a 3rd....... its like the 1/2 paradox. if i walk hald the distance between you and me forever i will never actually reach you because you can keep dividing by 1/2's
    Quoting you this time, so it doesn't change. I can split 100 in half. 50 / 50 ok, but I can't split it into thirds.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Percentages (and arithmetic in general) are abstractions. Sometimes difficulties arise in achieving precision when relating the abstractions to the reality. I suspect that the OP's question relates to the limitations of the representation of an abstraction.
    Last edited by lisati; January 3rd, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Beans
    731
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by markbabc View Post
    You just cant divide something equally into 3 pieces.
    I just devided something into 3 equal pieces.

    1) - 2) - 3) - <all the same length>
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    28

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Quoting you this time, so it doesn't change. I can split 100 in half. 50 / 50 ok, but I can't split it into thirds.
    i misunderstood your question so i edited it but my first post of round up applies.


    100/3 = 33.3333333333going on forever
    its an irrational number because it never ends. thus can never become a whole 100% because you cant add an irrational number to anything to equal a whole.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Beans
    731
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Percentages (and arithmetic in general) are abstractions. Sometimes difficulties arise in achieving precision when relating the abstractions to the reality.
    So is there a way to make up for that in Mathmatics?
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mission, Kansas, USA
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Can some math genious help me out?

    Make up for it how? You can either use a lot of decimal points or stick to fractions. I mean, you've heard about the game of calculating pi, right?

    Three isn't special, though. If you started with 99, that's divisible by three but not by two. The fact that .333333 looks like it has a three in it doesn't make it an integer. = )

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •