Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sound In Braid Game

Beans

No Sound In Braid Game

I just downloaded the game Braid for Linux as part of the Humble Indie Bundle #2, but the main two problems I have with it are that it lags noticeably on my fairly new computer [HP Pavillion dv7], and there is no sound at all. I have the speakers turned up to maximum volume, but I still don't hear anything. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit.

Beans

Re: No Sound In Braid Game

I'm getting sound, but it's really messed up...it's the same for all of the games.

Other apps that use sound though (YouTube, Spotify) are working fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have the same problem which really sucks since the music in this game rocks and this game was the reason I got the bundle.
    Every time you boot to windows, a kitten dies.

Desktop - Athlon II X4, Radon HD 5770, dual (crt) monitor 1800x1440 & 1600x1200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My sound is only not working in Braid. You can faintly hear the soundtrack, but there's a heavy kind of static, burning, or something noise that completely drowns it out.

Kinda sucks because Braid seems the most interesting. I guess I'll just play Revenge of the Titans until I find a fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Takkak View Post
    My sound is only not working in Braid. You can faintly hear the soundtrack, but there's a heavy kind of static, burning, or something noise that completely drowns it out.

Kinda sucks because Braid seems the most interesting. I guess I'll just play Revenge of the Titans until I find a fix.
    thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Never mind about that. It's probably just noise - even if I turn the sound settings to mute, the static sound just continues.

Beans

I had the same problem using 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10. I did an strace and noticed that the game was looking in the wrong locations for the sound libraries (it was looking in the current working directory instead of in /usr/lib, for example.)

I think the sound started working after I ran the game like this:

Code:
    # LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0:/usr/lib/libpulse.so.0:/usr/lib/libpulsecommon-0.9.21.so ./braid
    I'm not sure if all of those libraries were necessary, since it turned out my sound was muted during some of my first attempts at using LD_PRELOAD.

If that doesn't work, you can try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it points to the path that contains your sound libraries. (This is when I noticed I had turned mute on at some point... whoops!)

Code:
    # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib ./braid
    Oddly, I did not need to do a LD_PRELOAD or set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH on subsequent runs... just once.

Also, I noticed that my laptop sound buttons did not work in Braid, so if I started Braid with sound muted, I could not unmute it using the buttons on the laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: No Sound In Braid Game

Sadly, the preload-trick did not work for me, still a lot of static/cracking noises. I'm on 10.04 64-Bit btw.

This really kills the experience...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by o-bin-lad3n View Post
    Sadly, the preload-trick did not work for me, still a lot of static/cracking noises. I'm on 10.04 64-Bit btw.

This really kills the experience...
    You could do an strace and attach the results. Also, I've never used 64-bit Linux, so I'm not sure if the libraries are in the same place (/usr/lib)

Code:
    # strace ./braid 2> braid.strace
    Then exit braid as quickly as possible. Make sure there is text in the braid.strace file. It should start out with something like "execve(". Attach the braid.strace file to the thread and I can see if there are any other library problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu has its 64-bit libraries in /usr/lib, /usr/lib64 symlinks to that, and the 32-bit libraries in /usr/lib32.

Seems Braid looks for the libraries in the current directory by default and falls back to /usr/lib.

Btw, I found out that the noise gets a lot better, if I move the libraries Braid ships out of the way, so it has to use the system's... Still cracks every 3-5 seconds, but before it had multiple cracks per second.

Attached strace is with Braids own libraries. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast