Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hauppauge HVR-2250 OTA video corruption/partial lock problem

Beans

Re: New Hauppauge HVR-2250 OTA video corruption/partial lock problem

Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimpleengr View Post
    With the inline amplifier, the weak station has no problem with either of the two 2250 paths, but the strong station loses lock with tuner 0.

Without the inline amplifier, the strong station has no problem with either tuner, but the weak station loses lock with tuner 1.

<snip>

As it stands now, I'm using the inline amplifier and giving up using tuner 0 on when receiving the strong station. This works out better than the alternative, because so few recordings are made with the strong station.
    That might be the best solution for the time being. You might want to delete the strong station from tuner 0's lineup so you don't accidentally record on the wrong tuner. Do the same for the weak station.

Another option might be to get a high-Q attenuator for the strong station to weaken the signal. The only ones I've seen (but I haven't looked in 20+ years!) would pretty much wipe out the station. ...Went to check if any values on the two I have besides frequency; none, but what I have are 'traps'. You don't want that! (So the cheapest way and probably the easiest is to delete the stations in the individual tuner's lineups.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Out of town for three weeks, and on return discovered even the HDTV was not receiving all channels. Replaced the antenna (an older version of Winegard GS-2200 powered with a new GS-2200) and now getting strong signal on all HDTV channels.

Suspect that was entire problem, but cannot be sure until Watch TV (Live TV) starts working, a separate post!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimpleengr View Post
    Replaced the antenna (an older version of Winegard GS-2200 powered with a new GS-2200) and now getting strong signal on all HDTV channels.!
    Confirm old Winegard powered antenna was the problem.

Beans

Nothing like having what seems to be working properly not work properly! <g>

Might want to mark this thread as "Solved" to assist others where searching for solutions to similar problems.

Beans

I was able to get an HVR-2250 working on Ubuntu 11.04 2.6.35-24-generic by substituting the basic hg clone / make / make install with something a bit more complicated but ultimately successful for me:

Code:
    0. `sudo apt-get install v4l-conf`
    1. `hg clone http://kernellabs.com/hg/~stoth/saa7164-v4l`
    2. Use this as v4l/.config: http://pastebin.com/4GPrszBV
    4. `make`

5. For all files with implicit declaration of function 'usb_buffer_free', add the following to the top after the #includes.

#define usb_buffer_alloc(a, b, c, d) usb_alloc_coherent(a, b, c, d)
    #define usb_buffer_free(a, b, c, d) usb_free_coherent(a, b, c, d)

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you no longer encounter the 'usb_buffer_free' errors.

7. You should now encounter the 'struct net_device' errors. Download the full linux-source-2.6.35, decompress it, and copy the following to the v4l directory.

linux-source-2.6.35/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/*.h
    linux-source-2.6.35/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/*.c

8. `make`
    9. You may encounter more 'usb_buffer_free' errors, if so, repeat steps 4 and 5 again until it goes away.
    10. `sudo make install`
    11. `sudo modprobe -r saa7164; sudo modprobe saa7164` or `reboot`
    Here is the relevant section of the kernel log after the modprobe: http://pastebin.com/rWB6WBhB

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12