Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cannot get wired or wireless internet to work after upgrade to 10.10

Beans

Re: cannot get wired or wireless internet to work after upgrade to 10.10

i added the cd to the repository but when i tried to reload the synaptic package manager to download the package information an error occurred after downloading 9 packages.

"W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com' "

other links were listed in the error but they were all along those lines. all i did was add the cd to the directory.

then i decided to search for the ndis files and they were all listed so i marked them for install and ndiswrapper-common files installed correctly but ndisgtk and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 data could not be found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotysd View Post
    i added the cd to the repository but when i tried to reload the synaptic package manager to download the package information an error occurred after downloading 9 packages.

"W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com' "

other links were listed in the error but they were all along those lines. all i did was add the cd to the directory.

then i decided to search for the ndis files and they were all listed so i marked them for install and ndiswrapper-common files installed correctly but ndisgtk and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 data could not be found

I tried doing this too, but my error was:

"W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release amd64 (20101007)]/pool/main/n/ndisgtk/ndisgtk_0.8.5-1_amd64.deb File not found"

Is it normal that it is looking for AMD files when my processor is an Intel i5?

EDIT: I suppose it's looking for AMD because the iso is for amd64. Will it still work on Intel? I don't see an option on the Ubuntu homepage to download an intel version of 10.10.
    Last edited by irockonguitar; December 23rd, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
    When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.

Beans

i reinstalled ubuntu 10.10 from the cd making sure my ethernet cable was connected during install. upon restart my computer was online with a wired connection.

i then went to system->administration->additional drivers and my broadcom driver was listed for install.

after installing the broadcom driver went to system->preferences->network connections and manually added my wireless network to the list. after selecting this network a wireless link was established.
    Last edited by hypnotysd; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotysd View Post
    i reinstalled ubuntu 10.10 from the cd making sure my ethernet cable was connected during install. upon restart my computer was online with a wired connection.

i then went to system->administration->additional drivers and my broadcom driver was listed for install.

after installing the broadcom driver went to system->preferences->network connections and manually added my wireless network to the list. after selecting this network a wireless link was established.

Glad you got it sorted!, I forgot to mention, after adding the CD-ROM as a reposit, you may need to close down anything related to synaptic ( sometimes a reboot will help ) before it registers the CD as a reposit. Glad you're sorted though.
    Get out of my way.

Beans

I have installed ubuntu 10.10 32bit as a guest s/w on virtual box.My main OS is windows xp 32 bit. Initially after installation the internet was working fine. But suddenly the internet stops working . I have a wired connection. I also verified from network manager that the OS recognizes
    my wired connection with message "eth0 active". Even I am able to ping my internet server. But through
    Firefox INTERNET IS NOT ACCESSABLE.
    Any help is appriciated. Also let me know if any more information is required.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123