Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO get Citrix ICA client working with Google Chrome browser in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOW TO get Citrix ICA client working with Google Chrome browser in Linux

Lots of heartache to find this, but quite simple in the end. Most of the info came from this forum
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...l?id=25011#c21

But I thought I'd paste / distil / add my comments.

ESSENTIALLY: the trick is that you need to have installed Citrix ICA client (known as XenApp) from Citrix's website, but not use the browser plugin in the way that (say) Firefox does.

Download is available here:
    http://www.citrix.com/English/SS/dow...3&productID=-1
    You want the .deb version, and then use sudo dpkg -i <file location> to install it.

You disable the plugin (which Chrome had presumably installed automatically because I had it on my system for use with Firefox) by entering aboutlugins in the address bar in Chrome, and then scroll down to the Citrix plugin and there should be an option to disable it.

It is necessary to setup mime correctly in order for the launch.ica file to be opened with the correct application.

Chrome uses xdg-open which is a shell script (/usr/bin/xdg-open) which in turn uses gnome-open. xdg-open comes from xdg-utils, which is distributed by freedesktop.

Gnome-open opens files and urls with the default applications in:

/etc/gnome/defaults.list
    ~.local/share/applications/defaults.list

These lists reference .desktop files.

Creating MIME types for Citrix ICA Client

1. Create new file /usr/share/applications/wfica.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Citrix ICA client
    GenericName=Citrix ICA Client
    Comment=Citrix nFuse session file
    Categories=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Exec=/usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica
    Icon=wfica
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    MimeType=application/x-ica

2. Create new file /usr/share/mime/packages/ica.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
    <mime-type type="application/x-ica">
    <comment>Citrix ICA launcher</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.ica"/>
    </mime-type>
    </mime-info>

3. sudo update-desktop-database && sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

4. Then use your favourite text editor to edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    and add the line:
    application/x-ica=wfica.desktop

5. Run the following from the command line:

xdg-mime install --novendor /usr/share/mime/packages/ica.xml

xdg-mime default wfica.desktop application/x-ica

6. At this point, if you click on a browser link that should launch an application using Citrix, it will download a file called something like "launch.ica". If you click on the little arrow next to this file, and choose "Always open files of this type", then choose "Open", it should work.

I hope this is some help.
    Was really tough finding this info via the web. Stumbled over it in the end. I hope this will make a big difference, as I find chrome a much better performing browser these days.

All best, Eudemus
    Last edited by eudemus; December 14th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOW TO get Citrix ICA client working with Google Chrome browser in Linux

Half-way down, that should of course read "about [colon] plugins" - let's see if I can get it to do that without it being parsed as an emoticon ...
    "aboutlugins"

Ho hum!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh well ... I tried!

Beans

worked great for me, thanks! i'm using kubuntu and omitted steps 3 & 4 (didn't work in 3, no such file in 4) without a problem.

Beans

Smile Re: HOW TO get Citrix ICA client working with Google Chrome browser in Linux

Excellent!
    Works great!
    Txs a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

wow....and I've been having to use firefox the whole time Thanks!
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: HOW TO get Citrix ICA client working with Google Chrome browser in Linux

works great on my laptop (10.04 32bit) but not so well on my desktop(10.04 64bit). Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

just wanted to say thank you for this! Worked perfectly.

btw, dont worry if this command

Code:
    sudo update-desktop-database && sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
    has some console output
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Everything worked great for me. Thanks! That was annoying

Beans

The steps above worked for me. Since it took me a while to find this I thought I would post some of the errors that popped up.

Initially launch.ica files were opening with Chrome. All it took was installing XenApp and making sure the certificate authority files were available in ./usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/. I opened several connections but during the process pointed Chrome to wfica to open .ica extension and chose "always open this type of file".

The next day I would get the error "Cannot find section 'ApplicationServers'" and after unchecking "always open this type of file" the files downloaded were not launch.ica but launcher.aspx.

Eudemus instructions in this thread fixed everything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast