Thread: Processor Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Processor Question

Can someone help me with the advantages of going with AMD or INTEL? It seems that i7 is the best thing going but I have heard that AMD's phenom's are comparable and cheaper any direction here would be greatly appreciated. As an FYI I am not a gamer and do not intend to use for such.
    Dell XPS 1530 Intel Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM T7500 @ 2.2 GHZ
    9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Processor Question

I would say that AMD offers good performance for the money . If price is not an problem I would currently choose Intel . There are many articles you can read on this topic. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/amd-v...rocessors.html
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IMHO the only AMD CPUs worth buying are the fastest-clocked "hexacore" (six-core) ones. If you can afford a Core i7, you'll find much better performance.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It depends on what you are buying the CPU for.

If you look at processor models with the same price from each manufacturer, then:

AMD gives you more cores, which would give better performance on CPU-heavy tasks that are well multithreaded. 3D rendering and video processing and such things.

Intel on the other hand gives you less, but more powerful cores, resulting in better performance on tasks that don't use many CPU cores that well. Meaning most normal desktop tasks, and games (hardly any game uses more than 2 cores effectively at the moment). Intel also has better power efficiency, which is of course important if you are considering a laptop.

So, both have their advantages. At the moment I pretty much recommend Intel CPU's for most people, but on the other hand would get AMD CPUs myself for better rendering performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the opinions
    Dell XPS 1530 Intel Core 2 Duo 3GB RAM T7500 @ 2.2 GHZ
    9.10 Karmic Koala