Thread: tsclient/Windows XP/Remote Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

tsclient/Windows XP/Remote Desktop

Hi,

When I was on XP I used to use the remote assistance feature to help troubleshoot one of my friend's pc's. I've since moved onto Ubuntu and wondered if there's a similar function/program. I had a quick look at tsclient - would that be capable of doing the same thing?

I wouldn't be overly bothered but my friend is more or less disabled and is quite isolated. I've moved house so it's not easy for me to pop wrong and fix these things for him. Any help would be great...

Jim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: tsclient/Windows XP/Remote Desktop

I'm not sure if the same help requests built into Windows will work, but if this person has the remote desktop server running then you can connect with rdesktop or tsclient (which is just a GUI launcher for rdesktop).

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: tsclient/Windows XP/Remote Desktop

RDP works, but I've never been able to make remote assistance work. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the way remote assistance connects via a third party.

<disclaimer>
    I haven't put a lot of effort into making this work, nor looking for a solution, so I'm not going to say it won't, just that I've never been able to make it happen.
    </disclaimer>