Thread: Viewing last lines of another xterm

Beans

Viewing last lines of another xterm

This is really a shell question, rather than programming, but this looked like the most appropriate place for it.

I run large processes from my machine at work and then come home to check on them. Usually, I use screen but sometimes I forget. Then the process is an hour in and I don't want to restart it.

When I get home, I can tell from the files generated whether it has worked or not, but if it has broken, I can't look at the error message. Is there a way to grab the last 20 or so lines of a specific xterm? I thought there might be a tty tool of some type. I don't need to interact with the xterm, just look at that error message.

Thanks,

Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Viewing last lines of another xterm

Quote Originally Posted by pzs View Post
    This is really a shell question, rather than programming, but this looked like the most appropriate place for it.

I run large processes from my machine at work and then come home to check on them. Usually, I use screen but sometimes I forget. Then the process is an hour in and I don't want to restart it.

When I get home, I can tell from the files generated whether it has worked or not, but if it has broken, I can't look at the error message. Is there a way to grab the last 20 or so lines of a specific xterm? I thought there might be a tty tool of some type. I don't need to interact with the xterm, just look at that error message.

Thanks,

Peter
    No I don't think there is.
    What you can do is pipe output and error streams to /tmp/build.log and then I run tail /tmp/build.log to get a running display of progress and errors.

p.s. oh actually I tell a lie, there are hacker tools like xwd that let you view remote windows, but you would have to make your system very unsafe to be able to use it from home.
    Last edited by worksofcraft; January 6th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.