Thread: Frequent Restarts in Lucid Lynx Troubleshooting help

Beans

Frequent Restarts in Lucid Lynx Troubleshooting help

Please bear with me on this one and if I missed something I didn't see related results in the searches I did.

Lately my computer (a home built desktop) has taken to randomly rebooting. At one point it seemed to be mostly when I was away from the computer so I wasn't even sure that it wasn't a power issue at the outlet. Recently it has become more frequent and I have been there to make sure that I didn't loose power to everything else that's on the power strip. All the fans seems to be running fine. It was annoying but last night it took to rebooting once an hour almost exactly on the nose. (i.e. 1725, 1825, 1926...) while I was sitting there working on it. At the time I was running FF, Open Office, and could possibly depending on the time been running a SSL-VPN client to work). Of course this morning, it's been on w/o a problem for several hours.

I know that I haven't provided enough details to know exactly what the problem is, but was looking for more guidance on what logs to look in, that might point out where the problem is coming from. The computer is about 3 years old now, but otherwise has been pretty stable, though 2 or 3 times in the past 4 months I have had an issue with the network (wired) getting disabled.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Re: Frequent Restarts in Lucid Lynx Troubleshooting help

Hardware failure 100%. Start by running memtest for at least 3 passes. I'd be surprised if you didn't find some errors or see it reboot during testing. Could also be a power supply that is failing. If the powersupply isn't a good brand like antec, seasonic, etc, I would be surprised for it to be stable after 3 years.

Beans

Re: Frequent Restarts in Lucid Lynx Troubleshooting help

Sorry for the really delayed response, there have been other projects and it's been very stable. Which makes me wonder about it being a hardware issue.

It's been up for 12 days now and hasn't shown any signs of restarting.

I still plan on running memtest, just wanted to post me experiences to this point.