Thread: Problems flashing bios on System76 Lemur, as per launchpad bug 640842

Beans

Problems flashing bios on System76 Lemur, as per launchpad bug 640842

I just bought a Lemur, and noticed that the fan runs a little loud. After a little research, I found this resolved bug on launchpad from back in September of this year: https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/640842.

I followed the steps successfully (I think) until step 5. When I boot from my USB disk, I get a screen that says FreeDOS in the upper-left corner, followed by a blinking cursor. That's it. Pressing keys does nothing for me. I have to reboot.

So, two questions:

1) If I just ordered m computer a couple weeks ago, would this bug (and the solution) still apply to me (i.e., is there any point in doing a bios upgrade, or is the bios already the latest version)? FYI, the BIOS version on my machine is 1.00.05-sys.

2) Any ideas how to get past the FreeDOS screen?

Thanks,
    Mjumbe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problems flashing bios on System76 Lemur, as per launchpad bug 640842

Hi dd you solved the fan noise problem ? I have the same problem with the same Board ( clevoS3101 ) and same Bios version

Beans

I would not hang too much hope in any solution to this problem. I have the old Lemur (lemu1) and it has the same issue. Granted the fan kicks in and out automatically depending on the heat. But the noise is definitely present. I never heard it for the first 2 odd months of use. But since then I can hear it now almost everyday!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've flashed the new EC firmware last night and it seems to make the fan problem almost disappear.

I've updated using a Freedos LiveUSB, worked perfectly. You don't need 2 USB sticks, just copy the firmware files at the root of the key and go C: under Freedos

However It seems to me it could be better but I can't find any clevo Bios updates for now.