Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Openoffice Base 3.2.1 and Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Beans

Question Problem with Openoffice Base 3.2.1 and Ubuntu 10.10 x64

I am having a significant performance problem with Openoffice Base under Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and OO 3.2.1 with a MySQL database. Loading is slow (several seconds), moving from record to record is slow (even longer), search seems to parse about 5 records per second, everything is slow. Everything was fine in Ubuntu 10.04 and OO 3.2.0

Additionally, I have the problem of adding a new record to a table in a subform and receiving the message "Error inserting the new record. No value specified for parameter 1". When I do this, I can quit without saving the data, reopen the form, and the added record is there. If I press OK on the message and try to move the focus to a field in the form, I get the message again. In that case, if I quit without saving and reopen the form, I have two identical records in the subform. I have tried this last sequence up to seven times (get message, press OK, move focus to forrm, etc.) and have gotten seven identical records, so it would seem to be a bug in the build. My research to this point shows that this only occurs for people with Ubuntu 10.10 and Openoffice 3.2.1. I had no such issues in Ubuntu 10.04 and OO 3.2.0. I have made no changes to the forms or the database.

I would like to use an earlier Ubuntu build of Openoffice that worked for me before, such as 3.2.0, but I am unsure how to downgrade the Ubuntu version of Openoffice. I have read that Ubuntu uses a special make of OO called GO-OO or a subset of GO-OO (I think). Because of this I am not sure how to approach solving this problem. I do not want to install the native Openoffice, nor the version from the GO-OO site.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Problem with Openoffice Base 3.2.1 and Ubuntu 10.10 x64

I have the same problem now I have installed Ubuntu 10.10.
    I still have my old HDD with 10.04 and the earlier version of OO and that is fine.
    Is this a recorded bug? Will it be dealt with soon?
    I am on AMD 64 dual.
    bccoulomb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Based on bccoulomb's message, it seems to be a bug. I suggest that you search the OOo bug database at http://qa.openoffice.org to see whether it is recorded and then you can add it (you need to register but it's free).

Knowing the time between two releases -- about 6 months -- I doubt you will have a fix before June 2011, so you should consider downgrading to OOo 3.2.0 or test the official release.

Beans

squenson:

Knowing the time between two releases -- about 6 months -- I doubt you will have a fix before June 2011, so you should consider downgrading to OOo 3.2.0 or test the official release.
    Ok, I'll check that link for the OOo bugs. In the meantime, can you tell me the steps to downgrade to 3.2.0. I think i can use the following command to get rid of 3.2.1:

sudo apt-get remove openoffice*

Where can I find the debs for the Ubuntu build of 3.2.0? Is there an install order so that all dependencies are satisfy? Thanks.

Beans

bump

Beans

You can get OpenOffice 3.2.0 here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zerubbabel View Post
    From the link, download the "Linux 32-bit Intel DEB" if you have the 32-bit version of Ubuntu, and the "Linux 64-bit Intel DEB" if you have the 64-bit version.

You can find out what version you have installed by opening the terminal and running this command:
    Code:
    uname -a
    If you don't see this somewhere in the output, you have the 32-bit version:
    Code:
    x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by NCLI; December 15th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

Originally Posted by zerubbabel
    The US English download is 3.2.1. I see 3.2.0 in other languages, but that does me no good.

I have looked in the Scribblers PPA, in the Lucid packages at Ubuntu, and several other places, but I can't seem to find 3.2.0.

Beans

I'm having similar problems, the program is slow to the point of being unusable. I have a small and very simple HSQL database. I also tried to upgrade to the latest release candidate of LibreOffice, but this didn't help.

Beans

I have finally got this performance problem resolved.

Go to this link: http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distrib...eerkat-via-ppa

I already had Canonical Partners activated. I then entered the next 3 sets of commands. In the last set, I chose the Sun JRE.

Then I started Openoffice, went to Tools/Options/Java. It showed I had two JRE's, 1.6.0_22 and 1.6.0_20. I chose 1.6.0_22.

Once again I restarted Openoffice, and all was well wrt performance. I have not tried to add a record in a subform as yet, but I will do that tomorrow. I will report back on the success or failure of a fix for the error message mentioned in my original post.

I hope this helps Aelwyn and bccoulomb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast