Thread: SSH -> start a gui program on host machine?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

SSH -> start a gui program on host machine?

I still haven't got the whole 0:0 display whatever down yet, so I need some help.

When I'm ssh-ing into a machine with my android phone, I would like to start a gui program on that host, from my phone. Of course running something like Firefox just turns up with a display error, because I'm not trying to forward X. How would I do this?

Beans

Re: SSH -> start a gui program on host machine?

You won't be able to with an Android device (to my knowledge, I don't have one).

To forward an X app thru an SSH tunnel, your SSH client needs to support X windows - so either a linux box or windows with xming or cygwin. I'm sure mac has support for forwarding X apps as well, but again I don't have a mac so I am not sure how that would work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

on the remote machine, log in via ssh as the user who is currently using the desktop.

Code:
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    xeyes

Beans

$ ssh -C -c blowfish user@serveripaddress "gedit /etc/fstab"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lol, ok I got three completely different answers. I'm not forwarding X to my phone. The second answer looks more like something I'm looking for, however it didn't seem to work for me. That last one has me confused why would I want to edit fstab? Although I do like the encryption option. Basically what I'm doing is being lazy and remote controlling my PC using my android from the couch. Really I'm just playing around with possibilities. I wanted to start a GUI program on the PC from the phone.

Ok this is wierd, I was going to post the error I get when starting a GUI program, however, it just worked. I Always get a display error. I guess problem solved.

I just typed chromium-browser and it popped up on the PC.
    Last edited by pepsifx357; December 11th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.