Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU at 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

CPU at 100%

Starting today my CPU is stuck at or near 100% with only a browser or a directory open. When I check system monitor I see nothing using that much CPU or RAM.Is there something I can post to pin this down? I can't even open a folder it is so stuck now.I am running Maverick and have 1 GB RAM worked fine until today even running a lot of stuff now I've stopped everything I can think of with no luck.I am attaching a screenshot showing how much CPU nautilus is taking I have a decent CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmcanulty; December 10th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Beans

Re: CPU at 100%

Code:
    or even better
    Code:
    htop
    to see what's using the cpu. I've never trusted system monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do you have htop installed? It works a lot like the top command but has a few extra tools thrown in. htop will let you find, highlight, and kill whatever service is using up the CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Starting today my CPU is stuck at or near 100% with only a browser or a directory open. When I check system monitor I see nothing using that much CPU or RAM.Is there something I can post to pin this down? I can't even open a folder it is so stuck now.I am running Maverick and have 1 GB RAM worked fine until today even running a lot of stuff now I've stopped everything I can think of with no luck.I am attaching a screenshot showing how much CPU nautilus is taking I have a decent CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    The screenshot you posted does not show the CPU is being used 100%.
    You also mentioned it's stuck on 100% but it's not. I guess the figures are not accurate beside these figures/numbers keep changing.

Beans
    Distro

No but this chart shows it and it is stuck there or close to it2.jpg
    I am installing htop then will repost, thanks all. OK I installed htop and got it running .I am attaching a screenshot of that also
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (157.8 KB, 21 views)
    Last edited by cmcanulty; December 10th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if you use 'top -S' and then 'shift+t' you'll see the top CPU-consuming processes, if you post that info it could help us to see what's going on wit your pc
    .:it's all about true or false, so be true to life:.
    linux community is the best
    ubuntu ftw <3

Beans
    Distro

Here it is I typed top -S then when it ran I did the shift+t there are 2 screenshots evince thumbnails seems to be a big user don't even know what that is
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (123.5 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (113.8 KB, 19 views)
    Last edited by cmcanulty; December 10th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This has been a really common problem with Ubuntu 10.10. I had the same problem on a test PC with 2 GB of RAM and a 2.66 Ghz Intel processor, a number of applications running on their own would max out the CPU, including playing videos in Totem (but not in VLC although that would run 70-95% CPU) and even just Ubuntu Software Centre just idling.

Launchpad has a number of bugs filed on this problem.

I tracked this problem from 10 October 2010 when Maverick came out until a week or two ago. Incidentally the box was dual booting Lubuntu and that hardly uses any CPU, even with many applications open, so that proved it was not a hardware problem, like a failing CPU.

I would suggest downloading the Lubuntu ISO, burning a CD and trying that out in a live session. Lubuntu has a task manager similar to Ubuntu (but without the graph) and this will allow you to determine if it is a software or hardware problem. If the problem is not there with the live CD then the problem is Ubuntu and not your hardware. If so, you might want to try installing Lubuntu in a dual boot or sole installation and use that instead. We recently moved to Lubuntu on a desktop and netbook PC because the performance of Ubuntu 10.10 is just too slow for that hardware.

Beans
    Distro

I think 10.10 is a pretty bad distro is there a way to downgrade to 10.04? I hate to reinstall whole OS but will if needed.OK I just disabled all thumbnailers and still they are using a ton of CPU how can that be?
    Last edited by cmcanulty; December 11th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Well while it doesn't consumes 100% cpu evince thumbnailer seems to be using lots of cpu nevertheless. Try to disable it and see what happens. I think this has to do with document preview. Open up any folder and choose edit and preference and then on the preview tab set the preview options to "no" and see what happens. Something like that. I can't be more precise because I have no access to Ubuntu right now.

Actually I find Maverick in general more efficient and uses less cpu than Lucid, especially with things like Videos. It is also faster. It is 10/10 perfect for me. Only Firefox still loads kind of slow but that is probably a firefox problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast