Thread: Installing Lubuntu 10.10 on Netbook

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Arrow Installing Lubuntu 10.10 on Netbook

I have a friend who reported this problem to me and we duplicated the problem here at our house as well.

We downloaded the Lubuntu 10.10 ISO and conducted an MD5 sum check on it. It checked as a good download. The ISO was burned to CD-Rs and CD-RWs and tested using the internal CD test function and all copies tested fine, no errors. The CDs have been used to do several successful installations of Lubuntu.

In using Ubuntu 10.04's "Startup Disk Creator" to write the Lubuntu ISO to a USB stick the write seemed to go well, but in testing the stick using the same internal test it returned 115 errors. This was duplicated several times. In checking though Launchpad and here on the forums I couldn't find the problem listed, although the Lubuntu 10.10 release notes do state, rather vaguely:

"Installer may be unstable when installing with USB
    The installer could be unstable if you convert the iso to an usb bootable media. Especially, installation on eeePC seems problematic."

Other than booting the netbook from an external CD drive (which I don't have access to) is there another way to write the USB stick or any other alternative for installing Lubuntu on a netbook?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Installing Lubuntu 10.10 on Netbook

Lubuntu is buggy. I installed it for 2 days in an old machine, many things didn't work: it wouldn't find my drivers, drag and drop didn't work, quick search in Synaptic didn't work (because they took out the indexing module or whatever it is called, you have to reinstall it, it is cheating to make the distro looks "light" by removing essential parts which you have to later reinstall anyway) God knows what else was broken.

Instead I installed Maverick but used openbox instead of gnome. It was just as fast as Lubuntu except everything works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Lubuntu is buggy. I installed it for 2 days in an old machine, many things didn't work: it wouldn't find my drivers, drag and drop didn't work, quick search in Synaptic didn't work (because they took out the indexing module or whatever it is called, you have to reinstall it, it is cheating to make the distro looks "light" by removing essential parts which you have to later reinstall anyway) God knows what else was broken.

Instead I installed Maverick but used openbox instead of gnome. It was just as fast as Lubuntu except everything works!
    You know that I have it installed on one of my PCs and I have no problem with it at all, neither during installation nor after that

By the way, long time no see

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Thanks for that link, I take it you have used it specifically on Lubuntu as that seems to be problematic compared to Ubuntu Netbook Remix which works fine from the Ubuntu "Startup Disk Creator"?

We too have had no serious problems with Lubuntu on the desktop, it runs fast and smoothly. The main thing was not trying to install the encrypted directory, which broke just about everything. Other than that it runs very well now that it has had some updates since its release in October, which have fixed a few minor glitches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt View Post
    Thanks for that link, I take it you have used it specifically on Lubuntu as that seems to be problematic compared to Ubuntu Netbook Remix which works fine from the Ubuntu "Startup Disk Creator"?
    You welcome
    I installed Lubuntu on one of my PCs (check my signature) long time ago, perhaps 2 months now. I used the LiveCD but I'm using or I've used UNetbootin many times, only once was unsuccessful so I had to re-create the LiveUSB (using UNetbootin again). With Ubuntu's tool to create LiveUSB, it's just not my cup of tea

I recommended UNetbootin because it's very popular and I have personally used it to install Linux many times on my two PCs. You see I have Multi-Boot Systems so you can tell how many times I have used that

We too have had no serious problems with Lubuntu on the desktop, it runs fast and smoothly. The main thing was not trying to install the encrypted directory, which broke just about everything. Other than that it runs very well now that it has had some updates since its release in October, which have fixed a few minor glitches.
    No OS is perfect
    Usually, updates fix some/many stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, thank you for that information. I'll give it a try and see what results we get and report back on this thread!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt View Post
    Okay, thank you for that information. I'll give it a try and see what results we get and report back on this thread!
    You most welcome and wish you all the best

I see you're trying to convert people to Linux GOOD JOB!