Thread: No wifi signal found

Beans

No wifi signal found

I just installed 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1300. The wired connection(eth0) works fine but I get no wireless signal when I unplug and try to connect to my network/internet. It shows that wlan0 does exist but it gets no signal. I've used the rfkill to make sure that it wasn't blocked and everything seems to be ok, except I get no wireless signal.

I uninstalled Network Manager and installed Wcid and it found nothing. I even tried installing several signal scanners I found in the package manager. I've removed, updated and reinstalled the broadcom drivers. I still get nothing. The wireless signal from my router is nonexistent according to Ubuntu.

The wireless works fine when I put my windows XP HD in and it also works fine when I put my Mepix or PCLinux OS HDs in the laptop. So I know that the wireless card is not busted.

Someone please help, I'm stumped and have no idea what else to do.
    Last edited by mdock2003; December 7th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Beans

Re: No wifi signal found

today no network connection. The eth0 and wlan0 are both not connecting.
    I run all the various rfkill commands and get nothing.

Beans

Have a hunt (on this site, for a start) for mentions of broadcom and problems - I think I remember one a couple of days ago, with a suggestion to remove the linux drivers and use the Windows inf file (via ndis...?)

this post goes further, and tells how to fix (one) failing broadcom chipset.
    Last edited by dandnsmith; December 7th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Derek

Beans

I figured it out. I had to uninstall the driver and install a new one. once I did that I worked just fine.
    I searched the forums/site and did everything mentioned, but none of those drivers worked. I actually found the correct one by mistake.