Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

If I new you in real life, I would make the smoothest love to you.

Ok now that I got that out of my system, I would like to make a formal thank-you. Thank you your guide has helped me tremendously.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zimatar View Post
    Thank you for posting this. however, it is a bit late for me because I already hosed my mbr. I was following an instruction on another thread not knowing that that wasn't applicable for WUBI (in the first place, I didn't know it is different). Now, I can't boot my machine after installing Grub2.

I should have just followed solution #1 on Problem #2 because that's exactly what my problem is. So now, I'm trying to fix the mbr but after pressing R during installation, the installer say something like...

"Windows did not find hard disk blah...blah.., Press F3 to quit". Basically, I can't proceed to the console where I can type in fixmbr and fixboot.

I hope somebody can help me. Though I'm still scouring the forum for the solution.
    If you have a LiveCD/USB you can use solution #2 for problem #1. This will install a basic Windows-like bootloader. After that, things should be back to normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    If you have a LiveCD/USB you can use solution #2 for problem #1. This will install a basic Windows-like bootloader. After that, things should be back to normal.
    I already tried that but it didn't boot. I'll try it again later tonight when I get home.

As an interim solution, I downloaded a boot cd that skips the mbr in hdd and go directly to windows. And then when I need to boot on Ubuntu, I use the Live CD and mount the root.disk to access my files.

It's the second time this (Problem #2) happened to me and if not for the files(which I have since recovered) and the hours spent on setting the installation, I would have just reinstalled again.

But I may no longer use WUBI for the long term and I guess that's the main problem -- I thought WUBI is for permanent install. Apparently, it is just like Live CD without the CD part.... meaning it's not meant for long term use. A demo install, if you will. It's just sad that I exerted a lot of effort every time I set up a WUBI install. So next time, I may be better off doing it the right way.... that is, create a separate partition+grub2+ubuntu.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To prevent these problems you need to apply the Permanent Fix also on the thread.

If in doubt about your current situation, post the results of the boot info script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Zimatar,
    sometimes when you install grub2 and you designate your windows partition as the target, it will place a /boot/grub directory with the core.img file. This can break Windows as often there is a /Boot directory as well - and Windows isn't case-sensitive.
    It's also possible to install Grub to the windows bootsector but this seems to happen less these days.

So, boot an Ubuntu live CD and make sure you don't have two /boot directories. You can also run the bootinfoscript and it should make it clear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lately I've noticed that people affected by Problem #1 go on to be affected by Problem #2. It's therefore a good idea to apply the Permanent Fix after resolving Problem #1 as well.

Another point - I've heard cases where Wubi installs with Problem #2 spontaneously repair themselves. I'm trying to find out what the 'fix' might be - as it's obviously easier than the current Solution #1.

Right now I'd recommend running check disk (My computer, right click on Windows drive, Tools, Check disk for errors, automatically fix... reboot into Windows to complete chkdsk). Then try booting Ubuntu. I've heard that booting Windows, not logging in, and then restarting also fixes it - but I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Ultimately we need to find the root cause of the problem - as yet unknown - so that we can assist the developers to prevent it in the first place - but in the meantime, an easy fix would be a good second best.

Beans

Hi guys, pls help me, check my post, the solutions posted here would fix my problem ? thanks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1669949

Beans

Similar situation. Installed-reinstalled-deleted wubi several times. Would like to do a cd install now.
    Questions:
    1. If I want ubu to run on secondary hd, will the installation alter boot.ini on the primary drive?
    2. If so how can I avoid that?
    3. Will installation from cd to a secondary disk affect the primary disk and OSs on it in any way?
    4. If so can it be avoided?
    Thanks much!

EDIT: Avoid without removing disks physically that is
    Last edited by wubiS; January 19th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Beans

So many bugs to choose from

Look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10376187

The last post:

awesome thanks for your help, the command plus a system restore seems to have removed unbuntu completely, now i just need to figure out how to remove the partition i made for it and replace it back with my C drive
    Is that what Ubuntu wants? People to say, "I tried it, it trashed my boot, and the forums helped me get rid of it"?

Combined with problems I've tried to explain in the next link why should any of us recommend Ubuntu?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388

These are major issues! One results in not being able to boot and, since no live media is needed for installation, folks find themselves with no way to proceed!

The other actually results in data/OS loss! WTF?

Now we have trouble even posting at the forums. Is Ubuntu approaching it's demise?

I love Ubuntu but that's a serious question!

I'm going to post a new message at Ayatana very soon and I'd appreciate a list of all applicable Wubi bugs, no duplicates please. Just a very brief explanation and the bug number along with which versions of Ubuntu are effected. (I will mention to check duplicates filed at Launchpad).

NOTE: I'm only interested in these Wubi bugs and 10.10 installer bugs!

Yes, I'm angry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Is that what Ubuntu wants? People to say, "I tried it, it trashed my boot, and the forums helped me get rid of it"?
    @kansasnoob,

This thread has been very carefully written by Rubi1200 and I don't feel it's fair to imply that this had some part in causing the loss of Ubuntu.

If you can show a particular area of text that is confusing or can be improved then feel free to mention that. I don't recall anyone suggesting doing a System Restore to fix a bootloader.

I know you're frustrated, but I think you need to direct that at the right place. We are trying hard to help and we can't force the developers or Canonical to fix the bugs.

EDIT:
    here is the link to the bugs http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=68
    Last edited by bcbc; January 20th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast