Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by ki2002rom View Post
    bcbc, thanks again! I'm up and running. That download link let me read the files in windows, copied to memory stick, then started 12.04 off a disk, installed, copied files back in and man...am I a happy camper! By the way, is there a way I can save all my book marks/favorites so that I can have them in case this happens again?
    Glad you got that sorted.

Yes, you can either synch your bookmarks online - both Chrome and Firefox support that (I've only used it with Chrome) - or you can copy your firefox profile from /home/xxx/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default
    It should carry everything over to your new user.

I'd recommend maintaining regular backups using the built-in backup tool - you can set it to backup automatically on a regular schedule and it's possible to encrypt e.g. if you backup to a remote site like UbuntuOne. I normally backup /home and then exclude things I don't want like ~/Downloads and .cache files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Problem #1:

You have Wubi installed and are unable to boot either Ubuntu or Windows.

Possible Cause:

A late July 2010 GRUB2 update is causing a "no such disk" error (in some cases it may have a "no such device" error followed by a long string of numbers) for some users of Wubi, resulting in an unbootable system.

If the system does not display the original Windows menu, the most likely cause of the failure is that GRUB2 was installed in the MBR and/or on the Windows partition.

Solution #1:

Restore the Windows bootloader with the relevant Windows Recovery CD.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
    This is exactly what happened to me. I got access to windows restored by installing Ubuntu from a USB-Drive again. However, when I do that, I can not use my USB-Mouse, a Network connection, and apparently my graphics card (screen resolution is very low).

I would like to attempt Wubi another time, but how do I prevent getting this same problem again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    This is exactly what happened to me. I got access to windows restored by installing Ubuntu from a USB-Drive again. However, when I do that, I can not use my USB-Mouse, a Network connection, and apparently my graphics card (screen resolution is very low).

I would like to attempt Wubi another time, but how do I prevent getting this same problem again?
    It doesn't sound like you installed with Wubi - if you are installing from a USB stick it's likely a normal dual boot. The wubi/grub issue you quoted has been fixed for well over a year so is very unlikely to be your problem, even if you do use wubi.

Beans

Hi everyone

I am a complete novice ubuntu user and so the commands and what not are somewhat foreign to me

I have had wubi installed for about a year and today, as i went to turn it on the first time i was having many crashes and what not. I restarted and was then shown a grub command line where i could press tab to view the available commands.

i cant remember the exact command but i typed something like boot and got "no kernel loaded"

I can still boot to my windows 7 partition and looking in c:\ubuntu\disks i have a folder called boot with another folder called grub which is empty

i also have two files, root.disk and swap.disk

please could someone assist me further? I have all my code inside here which isn't backed up (i no i no!)

kind regards

Ricki

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rickilambert View Post
    Hi everyone

I am a complete novice ubuntu user and so the commands and what not are somewhat foreign to me

I have had wubi installed for about a year and today, as i went to turn it on the first time i was having many crashes and what not. I restarted and was then shown a grub command line where i could press tab to view the available commands.

i cant remember the exact command but i typed something like boot and got "no kernel loaded"

I can still boot to my windows 7 partition and looking in c:\ubuntu\disks i have a folder called boot with another folder called grub which is empty

i also have two files, root.disk and swap.disk

please could someone assist me further? I have all my code inside here which isn't backed up (i no i no!)

kind regards

Ricki
    I would check if you can get the info out of it by using this: http://ext2read.blogspot.ca/ (run tool and open the root.disk).

The root.disk could also be corrupted (I'd say this is likely) so you should run chkdsk and make sure it's still there. For info see here

If neither of those work you might have to fsck the root.disk. Probably a good idea to consider moving from a wubi install to a new install as well either by migrating or fresh install if you've used it for a year.

Beans

Question Re: Wubi megathread

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer alongside with windows 7 using wubi installer , and after a months of using ubuntu i've decided to say goodbye to windows . How to remove windows 7 completely while keeping my current Ubuntu installs , settings, and all those softwares that i downloaded from ubuntu site ?
    Last edited by howefield; June 17th, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: reset font to default.

Beans

Re: wubi cannot mount, what is the next step

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Okay, I was a little confused. I thought you were doing a new install (and you saying it's XP; still a little confused why you mentioned the XP). Anyway, since the root.disk file system has a problem it's probably a good idea to fsck it. First I recommend running "chkdsk /r" from Windows to make sure there is no ntfs corruption, then boot the live CD, mount the windows partition and fsck the root.disk:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    sudo fsck -f /mnt/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    (-f means force check even if it appears clean)

PS before you fsck, you could try to mount it to recover important data, but it's important that you unmount if before running fsck.

See here for more info

Sorry for reviving the old thread, managed to back up most of the files... but no luck, as I am still getting the dreaded message about unable to mount files in /etc/fstab.... indeed there is no useful infos in /etc/fstab

EDIT(the following is with the install CD)

aufs / aufs rw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0

I tried to edit the /etc/fstab, but no luck:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    UUID= 04A6EE49A6EE3AB6 / ntfs relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    UUID=E694F09F94F07381 / ntfs relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    UUID=B4B2B639B2B60042 / ntfs relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

as I am getting the same message

Any hints are welcome

In fact

upon restart I get this content in /etc/fstab

EDIT (this is in command line without the install CD)

#use 'blkid -0 value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    #for a device: this may be used with UUID=as a more robust way to name
    #devices that works even if disks are added abd removed.See fstab(5)
    #
    <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defautlt 0 0
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0

More hints are welcome, thank you
    Last edited by letank; June 18th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sparko0317 View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer alongside with windows 7 using wubi installer , and after a months of using ubuntu i've decided to say goodbye to windows . How to remove windows 7 completely while keeping my current Ubuntu installs , settings, and all those softwares that i downloaded from ubuntu site ?
    First you need to migrate the wubi install to a partition install. Once you've migrated you can remove Windows safely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

letank, please add a link to your original problem. I can't recall what happened.

Editing the /etc/fstab on a live CD won't do anything for you, and marking 3 ntfs partitions as root (/) is incorrect (and random - random stuff usually does more harm than good).

I'd by publishing your bootinfoscript results. And also confirm what you have done to remedy the situation (fsck, chkdsk etc.).

But if you have all your data and you like Ubuntu, you could also just reinstall and set it up as a normal dual boot (not wubi).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by letank View Post
    Running samsung N210 w XP, and wubi. Here is the script

#
    Result of script

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh

Code:
    Boot Info Script 0.60    from 17 May 2011

================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs

Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7

Boot sector info:   No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.

Operating System:  

Boot files:        /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  

Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  Windows 7

Boot files:        /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr 

/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr 

/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda3/Wubi: _____________________________________________________________________

File system:       

Boot sector type:  -

Boot sector info:  

Mounting failed:   mount: unknown filesystem type ''

sda4: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition

Boot sector type:  -

Boot sector info:  

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:   According to the info in the boot sector, sda5 starts 

at sector 2048.

Operating System:  

Boot files:        

sda6: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat

Boot sector type:  Unknown

Boot sector info:   According to the info in the boot sector, sda6 starts 

at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk, 

sda6 starts at sector 479195136. According to the info 

in the boot sector, sda6 has 0 sectors.

Operating System:  

Boot files:        /grub/grub.cfg /grub/core.img

================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xb75a42b4

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1               2,048    31,459,327    31,457,280  27 Hidden NTFS (Recovery Environment)

/dev/sda2    *     31,459,328    31,664,127       204,800   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

/dev/sda3          31,664,128   200,652,799   168,988,672   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

/dev/sda4         200,652,800   488,394,751   287,741,952   f W95 Extended (LBA)

/dev/sda5         200,654,848   479,193,087   278,538,240   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

/dev/sda6         479,195,136   488,392,064     9,196,929  49 Unknown

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs   

/dev/sda1        5016ED3C16ED2426                       ntfs       RECOVERY

/dev/sda2        04A6EE49A6EE3AB6                       ntfs       SYSTEM

/dev/sda3        E694F09F94F07381                       ntfs       

/dev/sda5        B4B2B639B2B60042                       ntfs       

/dev/sda6        4B13-E037                              vfat       

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (rw)

/dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (rw)

============================= sda6/grub/grub.cfg: ==============================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#

# grub.cfg for a simple text menu.

# In the current architecture, this always just boots hyperspace.

# see normal/main.c

#

set quietmenu=1

set default=0

set timeout=0

menuentry "Hypercore" {

sethsroot

psaloader psa0

}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=================== sda6: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             grub/core.img                                  1

?? = ??             grub/grub.cfg                                  1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda6
    #
    Thank for any infos. Still using 9.10 because the Ubuntu partition did not have enough memory to install 10.

Thanks for editing the code tag. Too early too late to get things straights.

Running from the cd live I can see the windows and other partitions except the Home partition/folder. After searching and reading, I am a bit confused. It boots to windows without a problem. Do I need to reinstall... redo the grub, I found the root file. Too many bits and piece to connect to make it clear.
    Here are the details of the original post

Ran chkdsk without founding issues.
    Cannot find good infos on how to write the /etc/fstab file, especially because the system is read only and I have not been able to change the permission, and as you mentioned I have no clues on how to do it right.

and post 946 has the result of bcdedit. Yes I am clueless.
    Last edited by letank; June 19th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Page 106 of 121 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast