Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: syslinux error: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

syslinux error: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found.

I had a problem with 10.10 and I was mighty frustrated.
    So I decided to go on and install 10.04 LTS, because it is LTS...
    I created the live USB as directed on the Ubuntu download page. I download Universal USB Installer and it says USB created successfully.
    However, when I boot from the USB the error comes up as mentioned in title...
    The USB has no problems because I installed 10.10 last time from the very same USB. There's nothing wrong with the procedure because I am following the officially suggested method. Also, nothing wrong with partitions because one instance of Ubuntu is installed and was working fine until I tried to install video drivers (long story)...

Can anyone please look into this and suggest a solution or at least explain the problem to me?
    Sleeping is not fun. Dreaming is...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: syslinux error: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found.

Go to usb .... syslinux(directory) > open syslinux.conf-file and search for "ui" word,remove "ui" from the beginning of line..just remove it...save it, and retry...
    " We need Support to make Ubuntu more Flexible > http://www.facebook.com/groups/224031050966311?ap=1 "

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if the problem still not solved with that...then you need to rename the isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg files in the syslinux folder to syslinux.bin and syslinux.cfg .
    " We need Support to make Ubuntu more Flexible > http://www.facebook.com/groups/224031050966311?ap=1 "

Beans
    Distro

There is no syslinux folder in the usb!

Beans

Hi there,
    I have registered specifically to comment on your question because I was having the same problem, I believe. I came across your thread looking for a solution but then I have resolved the problem.

The ISO file I got from my wife had crc errors!! ( performed md5sum on the file to find out so)

I re-downloaded the ISO file and made sure it is a verbatimcopy by another md5sum.

By the way, in the damaged iso file based usb installation, the Syslinux folder did not have the sysXXX files but one text file.

This is not necessarily always the solution to this problem but this is what happened.My Ubuntu system is working and browsed the Internet via WiFi network. However, some error messages pop up like software center crashes, flash did not install etc.

Good luck,

Abu Nusaibah

Beans
    Distro

Hello Abu Nusaibah!
    First of all, warm warm welcome to Ubuntu Forums

Second, I have already checked the md5 hash of my Ubuntu iso image. It was alright. But, just to make sure, I will download again and try.

Beans
    Distro

Nah. The new image has the same problem. There's no syslinux dir.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, as I see it, there is some problem with the 10.04 LTS image... Because when i write a 10.10 image it has a syslinux dir and works good... But the 10.04 LTS image lacks both the mentioned dir and functionality. I have tried to burn 10.04 LTS on the only CD that I had, but only to discover that it has the exact same problem...

Anyways, since my Ubuntu system is completely broke, I need to install a system. I wanted to install the LTS for two reasons. 1- that I believed that it will not have the same problem as 10.10... 2- that it is still supported...

But I have no other option than to install 10.10...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think the image you are using is bad-0ne, you can check it via MD5SUM > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Beans
    Distro

I have already checked it. The MD5SUM is okay!
    Please read my previous replies before posting your comment in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast