Thread: Hardware compatibility

Beans

Angry Hardware compatibility

I've recommended Ubuntu to everyone, beginning with 8.04.
    When I upgraded to 9.10 my machine was unusable, video card was not compatible with 9.10. Odd, it worked fine with 9.04. You'd think if all the libs existed in 9.04 then they would exist in 9.10.
    So I can't go any further then 9.04. The hardware is not that old, performs great, very fast, two processors, 4Gb of ram, 1000Gb disk... a great machine. but soon to be unsupported using Ubuntu! I suppose I can get new video card, give it a go, ........ throw away a perfectly good piece of hardware. It's just a card?

One of the issues that I have used to push Ubuntu is "Green Computing", just because microsoft doesn't support your old hardware doesn't mean you need to throw it out. I tell people to load Ubuntu on it, and throw out microsoft.

Today I realized that 8.10 repository is no longer available, and so I have two perfectly good laptops that will not run Ubuntu, one a HP Pavilllion dv9000, the other a Toshiba satellite. Both of these will run Windows XP and Vista, but when I boot them using Ubuntu 10.10 they get half way through the boot and crash. On 10.04 they complete the install but then will not boot after the install. So, try 8.10 and it works great, wireless network and everything, great! But the package manager does not work, and therefore many things missing "Gstreamer", and so on. So 8.10 can't be used either.

Is all that needs to happen is to keep older repositories available and all is good for green computing. Now I'm thinking Ubuntu is not a good choice for "green computing".

I understand Ubuntu is free, open-source, but why take down older repositories? If cost is a problem then maybe someone would volunteer to host the repositories, maybe I would.

In the name of "green computing" KEEP OLD REPOSITORIES ONLINE. Stop filling the landfills with perfectly good computers!

Please put the old repositories back online, somewhere!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Hardware compatibility

Support for 8.10 ended in april this year. You could either use 8.04, which is supported until april 2011 or fix whatever is wrong with your graphics cards.
    What? I'm not allowed to say fsck? Then how is i supposed to help people fix their filesystems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Hardware compatibility

Which graphics card is there?

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Definitely, the graphics issue on newer releases is fixable if you concentrate on that

What is the problem when you try to boot an Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 Live CD? Blank screen?