Thread: how can I secure my system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

how can I secure my system

I'm just wondering , how can I get full security to my system , well i'm using ubuntu desktop lucid . and i'don't share it with any other person , i mean i'm the only person who's using that computer. i have a broadband network. i have also a password to login my computer.

i'm not using any antivirus.

but my point , is that enough , is that secure enough . shall make some other things to secure more my computer from attack . network attak or anything.

i'm newcomer to linux , i'm a beginner .

i just want to know . what steps shall i make to keep my system safe and secure

????????

Beans

Re: how can I secure my system

You might want to encrypt your home folder. You can do this when installing ubuntu by simply checking the box that says ask for my password at login and decrypt home folder.

If you are gonna do this you will have to be very cautious, as you may lock yourself out of your system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Don't let paranoia make your use of the system completely impossible.

I have been using ubuntu for over 5 years; I do not have any virus checker on the system and I leave the firewall (iptables) untouched from the installed system default. Only if you are running a server of some kind will you probably/possibly need to set extra firewall rules using ufw or gufw, and if you do not use windows on the same machine, you can also forget about viruses.

Linux is not windows and does not suffer from the same security problems. The one thing nobody can protect you from, of course, is yourself doing silly things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tokoro View Post
    You might want to encrypt your home folder. You can do this when installing ubuntu by simply checking the box that says ask for my password at login and decrypt home folder.

If you are gonna do this you will have to be very cautious, as you may lock yourself out of your system
    well , i want to thank you for this information , but i didn't check to encrypt my home folder .

i think that i don't need to do that cuz i don't keep much stuff on my home folder.

because i have only 40 go hard drive , i burn most of my files on dvd data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Don't let paranoia make your use of the system completely impossible.

I have been using ubuntu for over 5 years; I do not have any virus checker on the system and I leave the firewall (iptables) untouched from the installed system default. Only if you are running a server of some kind will you probably/possibly need to set extra firewall rules using ufw or gufw, and if you do not use windows on the same machine, you can also forget about viruses.

Linux is not windows and does not suffer from the same security problems. The one thing nobody can protect you from, of course, is yourself doing silly things.
    I can't agree more . i'm a novice on linux world , but I like what you say , and you're absolutely right , the good news that i don't use windows , i hate this OS . and also i'm against installing windows programm using wine.

i know that i can do that but i don't , i have a firewall. i mean the default firewall.
    i don't install anything except what i have on ubuntu software center .

however , thanks a lot , that's why i like GNU-Linux and especialy ubuntu . you can find always some help .