Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a noob with KDE 3.3 Install

Beans

Unhappy Help a noob with KDE 3.3 Install

Hi people of Ubuntu forums.

I've recently visited the theaters, and went seeing the movie "The Social Network 2010"

The movie is about the development of Facebook, how it was made etc,
    sometimes you can see his desktop enviroment for a couple of seconds,
    So I googled some linux distributions, and recognized the OS by the start menu logo,
    Its KDE 3.3

But since I've only used windows (which's suck ratio keeps increasing), I wouldnt have a clue how-to.
    Also been using ubuntu for a while, linux mint before that, I love ubuntu, I have it on my laptop

But I am dying to try KDE 3.3!

But when I visit KDE.Org there is this alien language that tells me to compile the source?

I wouldnt know how to do this, since im used to this:

1. Download ISO
    2. Burn ISO
    3. Boot
    4. Install

Anybody kind enough and willing to help me?

// Shintek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help a noob with KDE 3.3 Install

Thread moved to Desktop Environments

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Thread moved to Desktop Environments
    Thanks, as I had no access to that section of the forum!

Beans

I don't know anyone still using KDE 3.3, everyone is moving over to 4.4 or 4.5. You can try CentOS which still comes with KDE 3.5, which is very similar to 3.3 (Debian might also have 3.5).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I don't know anyone still using KDE 3.3, everyone is moving over to 4.4 or 4.5. You can try CentOS which still comes with KDE 3.5, which is very similar to 3.3 (Debian might also have 3.5).
    Thanks, but im looking specifically for KDE 3.3, effort is appreciated!

Just have to wait on anybody who still has it in his posession...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi Shintek
    LOL re:windows "suck ratio keeps increasing".
    Since you put it so eloquently I'm sure there are many people that would like to help you get Kubuntu up and running.
    The easiest way of installing Kubuntu (if you're not too concerned about having a particular version number over stability) and keeping your current Ubuntu configuration is to do so through Synaptic if you are using Ubuntu.
    In Synaptic 0.62.5 click Edit>Mark Packages by Task>Check the box that says "Kubuntu Desktop">OK>Apply
    You will probably need to be connected to the internet so synaptic can download the necessary files and automatically install them for you. During installation you might be asked to choose a default desktop environment either gdm (standard Ubuntu) or kdm (Kubuntu). You can choose either, when you log out and log in again you will be able to select either desktop environment without having to restart your computer.
    Well, that's the way I have it set up and it works fine for me. This also allows me to run KDE software in Gnome or vice versa (which some people find quite disagreeable, but I find to be extremely useful )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

3.3 hasn't been around in... 6 years at least. You realise you'd be running completely unpatched, insecure, buggy software...right?

Anyway, I think if you can dig up a copy of Slackware 9.1, it should have it.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shintek View Post
    Thanks, but im looking specifically for KDE 3.3, effort is appreciated!
    KDE 3.5 is functionally and aesthetically incredibly similar to 3.3. The only difference is that it has bug-fixes and perhaps some extra features. There's really no reason I can think of (even nostalgia) to run 3.3 instead of 3.5. Download CentOS and use KDE as your desktop and you will have the same experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    KDE 3.5 is functionally and aesthetically incredibly similar to 3.3. The only difference is that it has bug-fixes and perhaps some extra features. There's really no reason I can think of (even nostalgia) to run 3.3 instead of 3.5. Download CentOS and use KDE as your desktop and you will have the same experience.
    But KDE 3.3 has the yellow logo and 3.4+ has a blue one

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Shintek View Post
    But KDE 3.3 has the yellow logo and 3.4+ has a blue one
    ha ha ha most excellent point Shintek, the yellow logo is definitely worth the mission. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast