Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to be Windows-free but ONE website is stopping me.

Beans

I want to be Windows-free but ONE website is stopping me.

I love Ubuntu 10.04, and I want to be free from Windows, but I cannot log in to my stock trading site with Ubuntu. I get an error message
    Java needs to be installed/upgraded

I have the latest Java installed. Javatester.org confirms that it is working and I have visited many websites that require Java and they all work fine except this one stock trading site.
    Their help desk only supports Windows, so you guys/gals are my only hope. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I want to be Windows-free but ONE website is stopping me.

Start your browser from terminal and check for errors when you log onto your stock trading site. Which version of java and which browser ? If your using Firefox the "User Agent Switcher" extension may help as well
    Last edited by MooPi; December 5th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you using Sun Java or OpenjDk?
    HP 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD, AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1Gb, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

These sorts of things are such a pain. I'm an absolute newbie but I'd suggest trying another browser, probably google chrome assuming you're using firefox.

If you manage to get on the site please write to the management and suggest they make it more gnu/linux friendly and let them know how great it is.

I wanted to make the change ages ago but I wanted to use a program called "guitar pro" which worked really badly with wine and play games which needed windows. Now the latest version of guitar pro is native to Ubuntu and I'm quitting games and getting a life

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
    I love Ubuntu 10.04, and I want to be free from Windows, but I cannot log in to my stock trading site with Ubuntu. I get an error message
    Java needs to be installed/upgraded

I have the latest Java installed. Javatester.org confirms that it is working and I have visited many websites that require Java and they all work fine except this one stock trading site.
    Their help desk only supports Windows, so you guys/gals are my only hope. Any ideas?
    Here is the solution:

1. Go to System->Administration->Software Sources
    2. Find and enable the "Ubuntu partner" repository. It's in the "Other Software" tab.
    3. Run an update.
    4. Open the software center, and install the Sun Java 6 plugin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

in firefox address bar
    type

Code:
    about:plugins

look through the list and see what version and brand of java you have installed
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 6th, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added code tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Aha!! One of the most overlooked solutions:
    Firefox runs great in Wine!

(looks terrible, runs great)

I always keep a wine container around with Firefox/flash/shockwave/java.
    I use it about once every other month.
    Give me Free Software or Give me Death!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe Ubuntu installs the icedtea plugin for java as default. If you install sun java plugin you should be able to do whatever you need with Java online. I'm not sure whether you can leave the ice tea plugin or need to uninstall it. Just go into Synaptic and install sun java plugin (possibly called sun-java6-plugin or something close).

Beans
    x
    Last edited by goog64; December 5th, 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Forgot I already posted this yesterday

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: There is only one thing stopping me being Windows-free

A VM would be a great solution, you could remove your dual boot. For your current problem it will be fine, but keep in mind that a virtual machine won't give you 100% of the performance you got by booting vista. So down the road if you want to run intense software or games you may want your dual boot back.

It is also possible you need a different java version. From my experience (and some others who helped me) the open source version would not work with Yahoo Games, specifically pool. The solution was to install the non-free version. I don't remember if it was from a repository or from Sun's website.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast