Thread: About Google Adwords???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

About Google Adwords???

I've been looking at advertising cost vs. potential gain in my local market. The basic concept sounds good... even better for me in some ways, but I lack any real experience using this ad tool.

I understand, and am pumped about the localized advert potential, but does anyone have any experience in a small local market using Google Adwords?
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: About Google Adwords???

For questions re advertising, etc, may I recommend this forum:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/

Very helpful & experienced re small business issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    For questions re advertising, etc, may I recommend this forum:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/

Very helpful & experienced re small business issues.
    While I appreciate the link I'm working with an existing ad campaign that is currently running in my local area. My ads.

I've been well educated in the theories of advertising, but that education is dated with respect to 'local' internet advertisement.

I'm looking for something approaching saturation, but am limited in my market and budget as to achieve these results.

What I was hoping to find out, is Google Adwords an effective local advertising medium? Does anyone have any direct experience, or advise?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mike View Post
    While I appreciate the link I'm working with an existing ad campaign that is currently running in my local area. My ads.

I've been well educated in the theories of advertising, but that education is dated with respect to 'local' internet advertisement.

I'm looking for something approaching saturation, but am limited in my market and budget as to achieve these results.

What I was hoping to find out, is Google Adwords an effective local advertising medium? Does anyone have any direct experience, or advise?
    adwords is pretty good locally and getting better. You try a small amounts of $ and see how it goes.

but another option that is gaining ground is local facebook ads (but these show only inside facebook tho)
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    adwords is pretty good locally and getting better. You try a small amounts of $ and see how it goes.

but another option that is gaining ground is local facebook ads (but these show only inside facebook tho)
    Thank you. I object to facebook on moral grounds... (privacy), but have been advocating this kind of ad placement for many years with anyone who would listen and am left to trust a large company to represent themselves in an honest fashion. More over, if Google doesn't adopt some kind of "Google Challenge" where competitive services are rated publicly (by open customer response), then just the highest bidder will win and Google will lose local 'potential' market place and respect; specifically, my market has several (powerful) bad contractors.

I know I can take significant market share based on my understanding of the current market trends and based upon my service quality, but unless there is some integrity applied, I will be consumed by powerful corporations' ad dollars...

Beans

If you object to Facebook on privacy grounds, that also excludes Google, and just about every other modern advertising company, none of whom care about user privacy, where they spew their tracked ads, or the fact that redress is opt-out, at best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by czr114 View Post
    If you object to Facebook on privacy grounds, that also excludes Google, and just about every other modern advertising company, none of whom care about user privacy, where they spew their tracked ads, or the fact that redress is opt-out, at best.
    Not true, Facebook requires an account that is not restricted/prohibited in terms of personal information, Google allows privacy control for its advertisers...

Beans

Not true, Facebook requires an account that is not restricted/prohibited in terms of personal information, Google allows privacy control for its advertisers...
    Google and Facebook are both atrocious violators of privacy, even though the specific methods of collection differ from service to service based on the scope of each.

How many people even understand what Google is collecting, how it retains their information, and how that is then cross-linked for maximum intrusion, or how Orwellian clowns like Eric Schmidt view privacy to be an antiquated notion?

In many ways, a Google account, combined with the ubiquitous presence of AdWords, Google Analytics, and other services makes it much more pervasive than Facebook, whose collection is limited only to Facebook-related activities.

The privacy paradigm present in the commercial, ad-laden, social web is simple: users have none; users are a product to be mined and profiled.

Other large ad networks also have no problem defaulting to eternal cookie tracking for every user every time he visits any infected page or performs any action with an advertisement object, all without informed consent.

The only difference with Facebook is the level of cooperation required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you. I object to facebook on moral grounds... (privacy), but have been advocating this kind of ad placement for many years with anyone who would listen and am left to trust a large company to represent themselves in an honest fashion. More over, if Google doesn't adopt some kind of "Google Challenge" where competitive services are rated publicly (by open customer response), then just the highest bidder will win and Google will lose local 'potential' market place and respect; specifically, my market has several (powerful) bad contractors.

I know I can take significant market share based on my understanding of the current market trends and based upon my service quality, but unless there is some integrity applied, I will be consumed by powerful corporations' ad dollars...
    i was reading about google doing something about this recently.

companies with many bad comments / low reputation will rank lower and lower on searches and ads
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by czr114 View Post
    Google and Facebook are both atrocious violators of privacy, even though the specific methods of collection differ from service to service based on the scope of each.

How many people even understand what Google is collecting, how it retains their information, and how that is then cross-linked for maximum intrusion, or how Orwellian clowns like Eric Schmidt view privacy to be an antiquated notion?

In many ways, a Google account, combined with the ubiquitous presence of AdWords, Google Analytics, and other services makes it much more pervasive than Facebook, whose collection is limited only to Facebook-related activities.

The privacy paradigm present in the commercial, ad-laden, social web is simple: users have none; users are a product to be mined and profiled.

Other large ad networks also have no problem defaulting to eternal cookie tracking for every user every time he visits any infected page or performs any action with an advertisement object, all without informed consent.

The only difference with Facebook is the level of cooperation required.
    I think the difference with business is that they provide information to be made public, and private persons are not always aware of how much information is public in every way...