Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, am I a Linux Mint user yet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, am I a Linux Mint user yet?

I recently saw some sexy screens of mint, and thought maybe I should check it out. I made a Live USB and booted. As far as I can tell, it's a nice looking version of Ubuntu (which has something to be said for it, Canonical) with an Aero style menu and flash out of the Box.

Anyway, back in Ubuntu land, I installed the Mint 10 window and icon themes (the icons are gorgeous, I must say), got a package for the mint menu, and even ripped some of the backgrounds directly off the the live CD.

So, am I using Mint yet? As far as I can tell the difference is purely aesthetic. Anyone know something I don't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: So, am I a Linux Mint user yet?

Technically not, since you're using Ubuntu. But on the other hand, if you have restricted stuff added and all that, then yes.

Mint will be taking a different direction from Ubuntu, by the way. They will not be going with Unity or GNOME shell.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    Mint will be taking a different direction from Ubuntu, by the way. They will not be going with Unity or GNOME shell.
    What will Mint be using instead of Unity/GNOME 3?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Technically not, since you're using Ubuntu. But on the other hand, if you have restricted stuff added and all that, then yes.
    lulz. Yeah, I think I have that package. Sometimes I like to open media files on my computer.

Though I did just install Adobe's flash driver instead of the normal buggy one (may God have mercy on my soul).
    So what are they going to do when Gnome 2.x gets tossed to the curb? I suppose someone will open a fork for the continued development of that interface...

I like what they are doing with Unity better anyway, and I'll be the first in line at the gates of the repo when they get turned into a complete work environment (I don't say "Desktop Environment," since there isn't much of a desktop to speak of, which I think is great).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

mint also has several tweaks and apps, but if you have their repos you may get them installed.

Anyway is good that they make it available for everyone

if you ever need to give a cd to a new user i suggest mint first.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Have the announced what they're going with, or at least what concept will be employed?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

mint is definitely maintained/developed better than normal ubuntu.

mint should switch to kde

of course, i mean a lightweight kde. if you install kde right now youll get every little thing that can come with it, most of which is just a waste.

mint with kde mod would be sweet
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    I recently saw some sexy screens of mint, and thought maybe I should check it out. I made a Live USB and booted. As far as I can tell, it's a nice looking version of Ubuntu (which has something to be said for it, Canonical) with an Aero style menu and flash out of the Box.

Anyway, back in Ubuntu land, I installed the Mint 10 window and icon themes (the icons are gorgeous, I must say), got a package for the mint menu, and even ripped some of the backgrounds directly off the the live CD.

So, am I using Mint yet? As far as I can tell the difference is purely aesthetic. Anyone know something I don't?
    Sorry, but you have to go green as well...
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

I made Arch Linux look like Ubuntu and Windows XP Classic.

But I don't count myself as a Windows user, etc. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't make your desktop look like someone else's. Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy your computer the way you want to.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    What will Mint be using instead of Unity/GNOME 3?
    Found this.

http://www.muktware.com/n/09/2010/440

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast