Thread: libpcre3 vs libpcre.so.3

Beans

libpcre3 vs libpcre.so.3

Hi folks,
    I'm a Linux newbie and I'm trying to install an application that requires a couple of libraries that my hosted Ubuntu VPS server doesn't seem to have installed - one being /lib/libpcre.so.3 (another is libcurl.so.4).

I've tried to use symlink to libpcre3 and libcurl3, respectively, but checking with the command 'ldd <the app>' from the app's folder shows the libraries as not found. Maybe these libraries are not compatible?

The VPS has a Plesk control panel with Virtuozzo and I can't find libpcre.so.3 or libcurl.so.4 in the installed or available packages to install.

Any ideas?
    Best,
    Keith..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: libpcre3 vs libpcre.so.3

what about
    sudo apt-get install libpcre3 libpcre3-dev libcurl4 libcurl4-dev
    ?
    .:it's all about true or false, so be true to life:.
    linux community is the best
    ubuntu ftw <3

Beans

smo0th,
    Thanks for the response and sorry - I see that my question was unclear.

The server has libpcre and libcurl3 installed. I've tried to use symlinks to these instead of the required libpcre.so.3 and libcurl.so.4 libraries without success. I was hoping these were package updates but it seems they are incompatible.

Unfortunately, neither apt-get or my VPS Plesk/Virtunozzo package manager seem to have the required libraries available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

probably your application needs the libraries for compiling, libpcre3 libpcre3-dev are different packages, are you sure you have installed the -dev versions?
    .:it's all about true or false, so be true to life:.
    linux community is the best
    ubuntu ftw <3

Beans

The normal and -dev versions are installed but I can only symlink to one or the other.

The real issue is that I can't find confirmation anywhere that these libraries libpcre3 and libcurl3 are Ubuntu-specific updates of libpcre.so.3 and libcurl.so.4 or something completely different.

Is there any Ubuntu resource that shows these mappings?

Beans

Update libcurl.so.4 (was libpcre3 vs libpcre.so.3)

OK, having now learned that Linux has multiple library locations (newbie!), it turns out that I was looking in the wrong place: /lib/libpcre3 rather than /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3. So, a symlink solved the libpcre problem: ln -s /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3 libpcre.so.0

I also found /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 but my app requires libcurl.so.4 and doesn't want to work with a symlink. I've added the Ubuntu Dapper-update repository to my apt-get source.list but the libcurl libraries stay as-is.

The server is a hosted VPS, so I can't upgrade the Ubuntu version. So, I need to find what version upgrade of libcurl I need to get libcurl.so.4 - and how best to install this, along with any dependencies.

Is it safe to add a later distro's repository to my sources.list (in which case, how do I find which distro has the right libcurl library set) or should I install the latest version of curl from a download and then work through all the dependencies manually?
    Thanks,
    Keith..