Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Fuduntu

Beans

Re: Introducing Fuduntu

Why are you using the deadline I/O scheduler? That usually only provides good performance to databases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Freedom is one thing, possibly infringing on a licensed trademark is another.
    It ends in an Untu though, not a Buntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Why are you using the deadline I/O scheduler? That usually only provides good performance to databases.
    Completely Fair Queuing allows IOs to hang out in cache for an undefined period of time. Forcing cache write expiration with the deadline scheduler is good for SSDs, and hard drives when on battery as it can reduce wake-ups (a big power draw on a battery). Additionally deadline has a much lower IO latency. I agree it is good for database use, but it is also really good for portables.
    Last edited by fuduntu; December 6th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I know it's not the same

Signed
    Devils advocate
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    http://www.fuduntu.org/

Not a bad distro, but also nothing too exciting aside from moving /tmp to RAM for quickness.
    I was thinking of customizing my Ubuntu to do this, but what happens if I want to say burn a DVD or bluray (or any high demand /tmp + resource program) and it takes mroe RAM than I have (say it takes 5GB?).

Quote Originally Posted by nlsthzn View Post
    Not the most flattering review in Distrowatch...
    They say it's mostly like Fedora, with a few extras, I guess if you like the apps that it adds, why not use it so you don't need to install it. The only downside was the customizer running every time there is a kernel update.

Quote Originally Posted by Philsoki View Post
    Wouldn't that be kind of counter-productive? You know, freedom and all that jazz.
    If anyone could say xbuntu then the ubuntu name would go down in quality. It is important for projects to be distinguashable form one another. You can always say based on ubuntu if you are, they don't mind that.

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Fuduntu is not Ubuntu or buntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
    You know that you don't need to use the exact phrase of a trademark to be in violation. Just and FYI if you are confusingly similar that is close enough. I don't know Fuduntu is a violation, I'm not a lawyer, just saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by nolag View Post
    You know that you don't need to use the exact phrase of a trademark to be in violation. Just and FYI if you are confusingly similar that is close enough. I don't know Fuduntu is a violation, I'm not a lawyer, just saying though.
    It is a good thing that parodies (like puns) are protected speech.

http://www.publaw.com/parody.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    It is a good thing that parodies (like puns) are protected speech.

http://www.publaw.com/parody.html
    Yes, I agree. On the other hand, although he says it's a pun, I don't see it. It is just a combonation of two words to make a word that intentionally sounds like one of them... If it was like FUNORA (FedORA UbuNtu) then it could be a pun since it's at least the FUN part is a real word...

Beans

True I like Funora, but Fuduntu works as well. I do not think anyone will care about the name from Canonical. It is fine.

I will download now, try later today. (I probably will not use it as my main, sorry to say, but it looks promising.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nolag View Post
    Yes, I agree. On the other hand, although he says it's a pun, I don't see it. It is just a combonation of two words to make a word that intentionally sounds like one of them... If it was like FUNORA (FedORA UbuNtu) then it could be a pun since it's at least the FUN part is a real word...
    Although Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt; spells the acronym for FUD... __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________.

I'll let you fill in the blank. You can go either way with the acronym, naming it as a real acronym, and not. (No Support: FUD can't be an acronym, because it doesn't describe a real noun.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I like the play on words, it actually makes me want to have a look at Fuduntu just out of curiosity!

In fact 'Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt' is a song I'm working on with my new band 'Kraken Wakes' so keep an eye out for that

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast