Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub Error 16 need a fix

Beans

Grub Error 16 need a fix

I'm getting a Grub error 16: inconsistent filesystem structure at boot up. It displays a menu of different kernel choices and the first one (and 2nd which is recovery mode) always fails with this error.

Been running it for a quite a while with no problems. 32bit

Ubuntu 10.10, kernel 2.6.35-23-generic is giving me the problems
    Ubuntu 10.10, kernel 2.6.35-22-generic works fine but seems slow.

Thought it might be a MBR type of error and ran Rescatux (like super grub disk) basically restored MBR and no change.

Error first appeared when I was having trouble getting a thumb drive to load. plugged it in and out a number of times and it never mounted. upon reboot (to see if that would fix the mounting problem) it gave the error. Also don't recall if I rebooted after doing an upgrade where it requested a reboot. I'm trying to think of what might have caused it.

I'm single booting off a laptop. so no dual boot reasons like most I found when googling.

Searched here and googled with no luck.

Let me know what else you need to help me.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Grub Error 16 need a fix

Welcome to the forums.

You must be using grub legacy as grub2 does not have error numbers.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#16
    Says to use gparted and click on partitions to see if it will clear error.

If you know what partition I would run fsck. If you have just upgraded you should download a liveCD just for repairs. Ubuntu liveCD includes gparted. Or you can download the latest gparted liveCD which is a smaller download as Herman suggests.

From liveCD so everything is unmounted, change sdb1 to your partition(s)
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
    if errors:
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Tried gparted --- ran "check" and returned no problems. Still getting grub error. I am running 10.10 but have upgraded from 8.04?? or something around then. never had any problems.

Tried your first e2fsck command. (I tried a fsck command earlier but forgot to mention it) It didn't return any errors so I didn't run the second. Here is the output:
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda1

302885 inodes used (12.93%)
       21080 non-contiguous files (7.0%)
         624 non-contiguous directories (0.2%)
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 19681/413/1
     8378616 blocks used (89.55%)
           0 bad blocks
           4 large files

229522 regular files
       31485 directories
          66 character device files
          26 block device files
           3 fifos
         434 links
       41766 symbolic links (35484 fast symbolic links)
           8 sockets
    --------
      303310 files
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    Is there anything that would have brought "inconsistency" as a result of putting in and pulling out the usb drive quickly and repeatedly? partial mount or something?

Can i upgrade to grub2? (how?)

thanks for the help so far.
    -

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To install grub2 you need to chroot into your system, and fully uninstall both grub & grub2, then cleanly reinstall grub2.

chroot & grub uninstall & reinstall
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Installed grub2 per instructions (removed grub, used chroot) that went well. rebooted and got a mess but basically still not working. here is the error message (in part) it hangs after the _.
    Code:
    [    0.573014] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    [    0.573053] Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.35-23-generic #41-Ubuntu
    [     xxx] Call Trace:
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] ? printk+0x2d/0x35...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] panic+0x5a/oxd2...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] mount_block_root...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] ? sys_mknod+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] mount_root+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] prepare_namespace+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] ? sys_access+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] kernel_init+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] ? kernel_init+...
    [     xxx] [<c05c6db0>] kernel_thread_helper+...
    _
    Reboot after this presents the grub2? menu where i can select kernel 22 again and get back to where i was. Grub had at the top gnu grub version 1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3

Pressing escape got me to a grub> prompt.

next?

thx.

Beans

did more searching with the new error message and thought it might be a problem in the grub.cfg... doesn't look like it, here is a snip of the contents:
    Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-23-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
            recordfail
            insmod part_msdos
            insmod ext2
            set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 075756c2-66cf-42ab-bd7a-e80eedbd5c35
            linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-23-generic root=UUID=075756c2-66cf-42ab-bd7a-e80eedbd5c35 ro   quiet splash
            initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-23-generic
    }
    ***snip***
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-22-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
            recordfail
            insmod part_msdos
            insmod ext2
            set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 075756c2-66cf-42ab-bd7a-e80eedbd5c35
            linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=075756c2-66cf-42ab-bd7a-e80eedbd5c35 ro   quiet splash
            initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
    }
    -22 works -23 does not. time to learn about corrupt kernels and how to fix/rebuild/reinstall them? thoughts? I'll keep looking for ideas.

Beans

Sorry for all the posts. here is where i'm finding some info... would this make sense in my case?
    pulled from this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1635133 but edited for my issue.

Remove 2.6.35-23 with this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.35-23 linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic
    Re-install it with this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.35-23 linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic
    I have not run it yet... looking for a green light on trying it. All new stuff for me at this point.

thx.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As long as you have -22 working there should be no harm in uninstalling -23 and reinstalling it. I have never tried it to know for sure.

Does this come back to the original grub error of inconsistent file structure.

Have you run a refresh?
    sudo apt-get autoclean # only removes files that cannot be downloaded anymore (obsolete)
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade #this updates everything
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade #would upgrade you to the latest kernel in the repositories
    #dist-upgrade is also able to remove existing packages if required
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans

the original grub error (#16) is gone and the kernel panic error and it hanging has replaced it. (reboot gives menu then)

I did the clean and no luck. I started the kernel purge but didn't know if I should continue, see below...

Code:
    user@mylinux:~$ sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.35-23 linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic[sudo] password for bikefreak: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      hplip-cups
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      linux-generic* linux-headers-2.6.35-23* linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic* linux-headers-generic*
      linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic* linux-image-generic*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 198MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    Will removing linux-generic* and linux-headers-generic* cause any problems for the 2.6.35-22 that is working? Just concerned it might hork the whole thing...

Thanks oldfred!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not sure, but I am always adventuresome as I assume (maybe not correctly) that I can get back into system some way as long as it is not totally corrupted. Then I reinstall.

If you run the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade next it should make sure you have the newest kernal and what ever it requires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast