Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will actually happen in the event of total IPv4 exhaustion?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What will actually happen in the event of total IPv4 exhaustion?

I agree with predictions that we'll have total IPv4 exhaustion, workarounds nonwithstanding, around 2011 or 2012. If I understand correctly, this is also an internet problem; not strictly a web problem (e.g. no usenet). Basically my question is this: If all IPv4 addresses have been used, what happens when I try to connect to the net?
    I had to do it.

Beans

Re: What will actually happen in the event of total IPv4 exhaustion?

You won't be able to read my stunning mess...

[CLICK]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that address leases will go up in price, and ISPs will convert to network address translation.

Beans

The Internet will close.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Or you could convert to IPv6, and hope that company's convert their servers to accommodate IPv6 access.

As for the Network Address Translation, that, like everything else they've tried, is just a workaround.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I agree with predictions that we'll have total IPv4 exhaustion, workarounds nonwithstanding, around 2011 or 2012. If I understand correctly, this is also an internet problem; not strictly a web problem (e.g. no usenet). Basically my question is this: If all IPv4 addresses have been used, what happens when I try to connect to the net?
    its just the same scenario as the y2k thingy....
    everyone will think the internet will end... cease to exist... while ISPs are already prepared (i.e. the issues are not as great as we think.) Besides, a lot of backbone providers such as Cogent have gotten ipv6 already. Since ISPs go on the backbone, it won't be hard to get ipv6.

In fact, I have it already (dual stack) . (not through a tunnel broker, I have a T1 line (2 bonded together) at home)
    Last edited by sandyd; December 5th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    everyone will think the internet will end... cease to exist... while ISPs are already prepared (i.e. the issues are not as great as we think.) Besides, a lot of backbone providers such as Cogent have gotten ipv6 already. Since ISPs go on the backbone, it won't be hard to get ipv6.

In fact, I have it already. (not through a tunnel broker, I have a T1 line (2 bonded together) at home)
    It's great that some are, but plenty of ISPs aren't going IPv6, and aren't planning to any time soon.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

everyone will think the internet will end... cease to exist... while ISPs are already prepared
    Not even close. We were aware of Y2K well in advance and people actually did something about it. This time, we've been aware of IPv4 exhaustion for a long time now, but very few people have actually done anything.

In fact, I have it already. (not through a tunnel broker, I have a T1 line (2 bonded together) at home)
    You're in the minority, probably because you have a T1. I personally don't know anyone that has a T1 in their house. Most people are still on IPv4.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Besides, a lot of backbone providers such as Cogent have gotten ipv6 already. Since ISPs go on the backbone, it won't be hard to get ipv6.

In fact, I have it already.
    What does it mean to "get" ipv6, or to "have" it? Does that mean you have an ipv6 IP address? If an ISP "has" ipv6, does that mean you can't visit ipv4 IP addresses?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    What does it mean to "get" ipv6, or to "have" it? Does that mean you have an ipv6 IP address? If an ISP "has" ipv6, does that mean you can't visit ipv4 IP addresses?
    It means you're on a network (i.e. your isp's network) that uses IPv6

You can still reach IPv4 networks, since your ISP will provide routing, tunneling and address translation to make the newtwork transparant to you / your computer

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast