Thread: Is intel video drivers finally fixed in 10.10?

Beans

Is intel video drivers finally fixed in 10.10?

Hello,

I have been going through this same cycle for about three years now...

I am a Dell Inspiron 6000 owner, that desperately wants to drink the Ubuntu kool-aid. But, every six months for the last three years I'm going through the same thing...

I get excited at the new release. It comes out. I download it, I burn it. I install it to my laptop. I am horribly disappointed to not only see that the video quality is inferior to what it was in windows, but that this inferior video driver is drinking down my battery far faster than the windows driver did.

I post on the internet with my tale of woe. But in response, intel points the finger at the linux community, the linux community points the finger at intel, and meanwhile guys like me are left out in the cold.

Now, I fully concede that the Intel 915GM on-board video chipset is just crap. I know this. But I also know that it is common (far too common), and that Microsoft somehow wrote a half-way decent driver for it. Am I to believe that Microsoft did something the Linux community can't? I have a hard time buying that one...

If the Linux cult wants to continue to recruit new members, I would think a good way to start is by writing video drivers for the most common chipsets.

So, anyway, getting back to the cycle I spoke of earlier...I'm breaking it this time. This time around I am just going to come here and ask...did this get fixed, or was the intel video drivers left unaddressed for yet another version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is intel video drivers finally fixed in 10.10?

I would think a good way to start is by writing video drivers for the most common chipsets.
    Linux is all about getting involved. If a piece of code doesn't do what you want or how you want, why not improve it yourself instead of saying what others should do !!

Or buy something with better support.

Intel 915GM is hardly state of the art, if anything is going to be worked on I would guess it will be the latest generation of chips rather than the older ones.

I have 'Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS' in my tosh & whilst not being the best graphics in the world it is more than sufficient for 'normal' every day use.
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusR View Post
    Linux is all about getting involved. If a piece of code doesn't do what you want or how you want, why not improve it yourself instead of saying what others should do !!
    perhaps because he can't or perhaps doens't have the time.or perhaps there is a choice out there that offers out of the box support.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

perhaps because he can't
    Perhapse could learn.

perhaps doens't have the time
    Perhaps could make time, or is not that important.

My point was that there are people out there that are very quick to say what others should spend their valuable time doing so that they themselves end up with improvements for free with little or no input or cost to them.

Beans

you think your intel drivers come from microsoft?

intel provides the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

intel provides the driver.
    Yes both for windows & linux.

I have just checked & the latest Intel drivers are in the latest Xorg packages & should be in use on Ubuntu.

xflbret

Why not down load the live cd & give it a try ??

Beans

Well, this thread has garnered a couple of idiotic posts, a couple of intelligent posts, but no one really answered my question...

Has the intel driver been fixed, or is it same-old-same-old?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xflbret View Post
    Well, this thread has garnered a couple of idiotic posts, a couple of intelligent posts, but no one really answered my question...

Has the intel driver been fixed, or is it same-old-same-old?
    grab a live cd & try it.
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/

if you want to check the next version.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/