Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

HD 4670 is to weak for a Phenom II and 4 GB RAM, take a look at Radeon HD 5770. I would also advise to stay away from Optiarc DVD burners.

Beans

For some reason, i cant play a game without it being on full detail...i want a game to look its best. I need a cheap video card that runs wow and possibly fable 3 on full settings, and suggestions?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

EDITED 01/4/2011

*ASUS ENGTS450 TOP DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Thats the card. I already bought it.
    Last edited by Dlambert; January 4th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Basically, the questions is, which OS should i run. Ubuntu, Windows, or Hackintosh.
    Last edited by Dlambert; January 4th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

to run the latest commercial games at max graphics you will need to run windows 7 (winXp only supports directx9c).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you know what is interesting to me here? people buy best cards for gaming, yet they won't even be able to use them to their full potential in Ubutnu. Every windows game played through wine will use max directx9 and to use that one you can get alot cheaper card.

also i don't think most linux games use latest openGL. FPS games use mostly outdated quake 2 and 3 engines or cube engine. correct me if i am wrong, but i think even doom 3 is not really latest material.

it is another thing if you intend to have a separate partition with windows7 on where you will be able to use directx11 acceleration with the latest cards.

if not then it's not worth investing so much in "gaming rig" for linux.

for WOW cheapest graphics card will do as well as 2 gb ram.
    Ummm..'best' cards for gaming? Maybe, depending on what you call 'best'. A GTX460? A GTX580? The GTX 460 isnt that expensive and its worth it for gaming IMO.

Even if WINE will only allow DX9, getting a decent card still isnt a bad idea for gaming. Sure, you wont be able to use DX10/11 features but the extra power does come in handy, in these days of 1920x1080 monitors. I was getting about 100FPS (AA and AF off) in some games in linux at 1280x1024, increase that to 1920x1080 and they were only just in the aceptable framerate range (40+ frames a sec)

Doom 3 isnt 'the latest material'. Not even close.

WoW is such a low graphical quality game that video card doesnt really matter, porvided that its not really, really old. Fable III will have much, much higher requirements-

http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...me=Fable%20III

Its not going to work with 'the cheapest graphics card'. Or, if it does, its going to be in 'slideshow' mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Basically, the questions is, which OS should i run. Ubuntu, Windows, or Hackintosh. The only part of the build i will/can change is the Video Card and the HD
    I'd dump the Hyper 212 and see if you can get enough from that to step up to a GTX460.

You could try a linux distro + WINE, if that doesnt work well enough then *bluegh* windows. Why anybody would run macOSX for gaming is beyond me.

BTW, its at least 'semi-illegal' to run OSX on 'nonapple branded software'. Funny enough, I've seen mods shut down threads on 'how to download from youtube', because its against the terms of service..but I've never seen anythign mentioning OSX on 'pc' hardware get shut down. :S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i never buy a card worth more than 40 EUR. they can still play games well. although if i played them on 50" TV or somethign like that i would probabyl go for more expencive one. but for my current monitor they are ok. haven't played crysis yet, but a bit older ones (Stalker, Oblivion, GTA, Left 4 dead...) they still run on max (max and in winXP).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!

For some reason, i cant play a game without it being on full detail...i want a game to look its best. I need a cheap video card that runs wow and possibly fable 3 on full settings, and suggestions?
    This is pretty much impossible on Ubuntu if you wan't decent framerates. Buy Windows or buy the fastes CPU/GPU out there.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

I have a fully legal copy of windows 7. Thats not my worries, if i see a better card for the price ill get it. I just wish to stay open source(OS), but if i have to i'll install windows.

Beans

I have a fully legal copy of windows 7. Thats not my worries, if i see a better card for the price ill get it. I just wish to stay open source(OS), but if i have to i'll install windows.
    Well you don't have to switch the OS because there are awesome little Boxes called Consoles out there where you can play the latest Games on and don't have to worry about which OS you have or if you have the newest CPU/GPU .

Dual Booting is also an Option if you insist to Game on the PC instead of Consoles.

And don't forget that nobody "forces" you to install Windows .
    The "I have to install Windows" Line is already getting old. There is an Alternative for anything and everything.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast