Thread: Firefox won't restore session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox won't restore session

Hey,

recently Firefox/Minefield started to stop loading sites after some time and when exiting Firefox, the process would keep running in the background, so I have to kill it. When I did this yesterday, Firefox no longer restored my tabs from last session like usual. There's a sessionstore.bak in my profile folder whose size is 1.3 MB and seems to be intact.
    Still, when renaming it to sessionstore.js, Firefox will still not load my tabs - it just displays the start page. This applies to both Firefox 3.6 and Minefield. I tried a sessionstore backup from five days ago, but the result is the same.
    Is there anything else I need to do to get Firefox to restore my tabs?

Session restore in general does not seem to be broken, because when I open a few new tabs and save them, they are restored the next time I start Firefox.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Firefox won't restore session

Now it seems that the tabs are lost every time Minefield is killed.
    Still, the original problem persists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Type about:config in the address bar, then make sure browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash and browser.sessionstore.enabled are set as true.

More info at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.se...ume_from_crash

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I checked, but they were both set to true.
    However, when I re-examined the sessionstore.bak file, I noticed all my tabs were in the array _closedWindows. After swapping the names windows and _closedWindows, it works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You can bring up the session restore window by entering:

about:sessionrestore

in the address bar. This will only help if you have not closed firefox since it failed to restore tabs.

Thanks to http://www.webupd8.org/ for this tip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had this exact same problem today. Firefox had just been updated to Firefox11 so I quit my session to let it update. I usually keep about 100-200 tabs open at a time in 5-10 tab groups. I noticed that firefox was still running in the background so I killed it; I know this usually means that I will lose my session and have to restore from backup - no big deal.

As usual, session didn't restore. This time, however, when I quit firefox, backed up all sessionstore files, renamed sessionstore.bak to sessionstore.js, and opened firefox all I got was my homepage. After a bit of messing around with editing the files to no avail, I googled a bit a found this thread. Three more minutes editing the files and I got my firefox session back!

For anyone stumbling on this in the future, here's what I did:

1) After locating the file that I wanted to use (I assume you already know how to do that if your reading this thread), I opened it in a text editor [gedit works just fine, in win7 there is an edit option in the context menu].

2) Look at the very begging of the file, if you see this same thing, then you have the same problem:

{"windows":[],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[{"tabs":[{"entries":[{"url":

It should be followed by a long string of urls in separate quotes. Those are the urls you want to restore.

3) change "selectedWindow":0," to "selectedWindow":1,"

4)copy everything between

"_closedWindows":[

and

,"session":{"state":"running","lastUpdate":1332230 338220,"startTime":1331123353813,"recentCrashes":0 },"scratchpads":[]}

*note* the numbers in there will be different, don't worry about that.*note*

5) Paste what you copied between the brackets in

{"windows":[*paste here*]

6) Save the file as sessionstore.js in the proper folder and start firefox, you should have your lost session back. finally.

Beans

Talking Re: Firefox won't restore session

^Thanks for this post--it helped my recover a corrupt sessionrestore file (twice)