Thread: How to add users to vsftpd without making local accounts?

Beans
    Hidden!

How to add users to vsftpd without making local accounts?

I'm using vsftpd as my FTP server. I have set it up so I can access my home directory via FTP, requiring my login.

But I want to make a folder in my documents (or anywhere really), which only my colleague can access. But I don't want to make a local Ubuntu user account. He just needs to be able to send files to this folder, connecting remotely, using his own login details.

Is there any way?

Beans

Re: How to add users to vsftpd without making local accounts?

Hello,

This can be done with Virtual Users for vsftpd. I don't know exactly how to set them up, maby someone else does ?

Regards,
    Strega

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yea virtual users. you should be able to google it pretty easily. I use the db4.6-utils for the local password file for users.
    ok i googled for you, this seems to be pretty close to what i did: http://linuxforfun.net/2008/04/05/vsftpd-virtual-users/

Beans

pure-ftpd does this out of the box without much fiddling, you may want to look into that. There's even a webmin module out there for it if you like webmin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Re: How to add users to vsftpd without making local accounts?

I have the same problem. I am trying to setup virtual users in vsftpd. I tried the tutorial in the above link, and it does not work at all. Can someone PLEASE explain how to add virtual users to vsftpd? Please explain it in a way that we can understand? I've found several tutorials online, but I still can't get virtual users setup. I do have vsftpd setup correctly and working. I can connect to it by using the Ubuntu main user account, but I don't want to use that. I need to setup 2 virtual users, and restrict them to a specific folder, locking them out of the rest of the ubuntu computer.
    Thanks
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...