Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business espionage dressed up as ISP "Privacy" policies?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Business espionage dressed up as ISP "Privacy" policies?

A US ISP's "privacy" policy basically states that they will collect any and all of your data (email, posts, surfing etc ) and then "share" it".

Question(s):

Can someone please direct me to a "checklist" which can suggest counter measures for non-geeks?

How can we function if we cant trust our ISP?

Are there some specific 'tricks' in Ubutu to foil rogue ISPs?

If yes, it would be a great 'selling point', especially for professionals concerned that rogue ISPs could "share" their intellectual property.
    This could be a huge issue for telecommuters too.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Business espionage dressed up as ISP "Privacy" policies?

What ISP is this? Do they indicate who they are "sharing" it with?

You could always make sure your important stuff is encrypted with SSL. Then maybe switch ISP's?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is not a ubuntu specific issue you are referencing here. This involves network transmittal. If you are worried of such things than you need to use a internet proxy like TOR or encrypt your data with a VPN!
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What ISP is it?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I too would like to know what ISP and can you point us to the document from which you got this ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hadeda View Post
    A US ISP's "privacy" policy basically states that they will collect any and all of your data (email, posts, surfing etc ) and then "share" it".

Question(s):

Can someone please direct me to a "checklist" which can suggest counter measures for non-geeks?

If yes, it would be a great 'selling point', especially for professionals concerned that rogue ISPs could "share" their intellectual property.
    This could be a huge issue for telecommuters too.

Thanks!
    I would consider all activity on "the internet" to be public domain and expect such behavior.

You can increase your privacy with encryption (https , ssh, VPN), the use of a proxy, and TOR. Be careful with cookies, check out flash cookies, and use NoScript.

I do not believe there is any such thing as total and complete privacy over the internet, especially where your IP provider is concerned.

If you do not find the terms of your IP provider acceptable, find another.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A lot of these policies are kind of self-protective on the part of ISPs as well. It's not necessarily that they gather/use the information currently, or that they ever have in the past, but that if they ever do they want to be able to say they told you they might.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Then there are abominations like Phorm.

If you can't switch ISPs, considering obtaining a virtual server from someone like linode.com. Then you could set up an OpenVPN tunnel to the server and push all your outbound traffic through the encrypted tunnel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Hadeda View Post
    I have removed some of your OP from my quote-reply, only to save space; it is not because I consider what I removed to be irrelevant.

Does the ISP policy in question actually state that they are inevitably going to "share," your information? The way you explained it, they have actually put down in writing that they are going to collect everything and that they are going to share it.

Anyway, the problem, if you choose to see it as one, is with things like CALEA. If I remember correctly, it requires all telecommunications providers in the U.S. to use hardware and software which allows law enforcement agencies to monitor all telephone and, (as of 2005/2006,) network communications taking place within the U.S.

So I don't think the characterization of "rogue," ISP's as such is right. They're obeying the law, for better or for worse, not acting of their own accord.

I am sorry I don't have any specific help for you; I am (obviously,) not a security person. I suggest reading the stickied security thread(s) though.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

+1 for VPN, really it is the only way that I could see of completely bypassing your ISP's right to snoop. You would also have to make sure all traffic is routed through the VPN and not just through your ISP.

BUT,
    unless you use a trusted out of country VPN, your traffic could just be listened to on their end by their ISP. You would also need to read their T&C's to make sure that they can not be bullied by any particular governing body into giving up their logs and what not.

Then again there is always the fact that you will have to pay for high quality VPN service and unless you have some anonymous way to get them money, the idea is short lived as you would leave a paper trail right to their door.
    MyBlog
    Sledgehammer engineering, if it doesn't work, hit it damn hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast