Thread: Anyone using OpenNIC?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Anyone using OpenNIC?

Hey Guys --

I've been reading about OpenNIC, and with all the news related to domain names being pulled I kinda like the idea of an alternative DNS Root service that's 'off the grid' of sorts. Granted not everyone could access your site unless they added the OpenNIC DNS Servers to their computer or router, but for people who want to setup a private site or a site that's out of sync just enough to detour Google and spammers this might be an option.

What I like about OpenNIC is they don't shadow the TLD's from ICANN, so there shouldn't be any hijacking of domain names (like going to www.mybank.com and getting a hack site instead of a legit site).

Just seems like a neat way of creating an independent segment of content outside the mainstream Internet but still using the existing infrastructure.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Anyone using OpenNIC?

I started a thread this week asking for people's thoughts on OpenNIC.

Didn't get one reply...

Personally, I'm not using it, but I can see that OpenNIC or other such systems that are working to be free of ICANN, may unfortunately be where some of us will have to go in the future as the corporations take over the internet.

Which is an extremely sad set of circumstances when it comes right down to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I could see the Internet becoming splintered into groups of virtual networks driven by these root DNS servers not too dissimilar from IRC or NNTP servers or even BBS Echo Networks like Fidonet, DoveNet, etc. The Internet becomes the conduit and rough network, but the DNS segmentation becomes a virtual separation between networks.

The advantage of this is you wouldn't have so much crap going between the different environments. Whenever I get a server going at home I'll probably get a domain name registered on OpenNIC and keep it in that arena, but I'm not sure how large that network is or how many points of contact are there. It's only been around for a couple of years, but hopefully it'll start gaining some popularity.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

Smile Re: Anyone using OpenNIC?

Hi guys, you can start by asking what you need at #opennic irc.freenode.net

This is getting more popularity every day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

is possible to have a single command that set&force the openNIC dns?
    for example:

cd /etc
    sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf
    sudo wget http://www.link.to/file/resolv/resolv.conf
    sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

where resolv.conf contain the updated data like:
    Code:
    # Generated by NetworkManager
    nameserver 202.83.95.227
    nameserver 119.31.230.42
    nameserver 178.63.26.173
    nameserver 217.79.186.148
    nameserver 27.110.120.30
    nameserver 89.16.173.11
    nameserver 69.164.208.50
    nameserver 216.87.84.211
    nameserver 2001:470:8388:10:0:100:53:20
    nameserver 2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

@samalex:
    To clarify something from your original comment - OpenNIC does allow queries of ICANN domains. We rebuild a complete root-hints every hour with information from ICANN, OpenNIC, and any other roots we are peering with. We are also in the process of adding DNSSEC to our zones. However we do not carry a mirror of the ICANN TLD zones (since most of them don't allow for easy access anyway), we simply forward the queries to the appropriate ICANN nameservers just like any other DNS server would do.

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    is possible to have a single command that set&force the openNIC dns?
    You can get a list of available OpenNIC DNS servers, arranged geographically by your location, from this page: http://wiki.opennicproject.org/ClosestT2Servers

If you need a bash one-liner, you can try something like this, however the correct way to set an OpenNIC server as your primary would be to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add one of our IP's as the first nameserver entry.
    Code:
    echo "nameserver <Server-IP>" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Beans

Unhappy Re: Anyone using OpenNIC?

[QUOTE=alexan;10500618]is possible to have a single command that set&force the openNIC dns?
    for example:

-----------snppet2save-------------------
    What a horror show ths opennic is,
    Here s what my resolve.confg looks lke:
    "# Generated by NetworkManager
    search ns4.mo.us.dns.opennic.glue
    nameserver 69.197.154.207
    nameserver 66.244.95.20
    nameserver 128.173.89.246
    nameserver 184.154.13.11
    nameserver 64.0.55.201
    nameserver 108.174.52.189
    nameserver 72.232.162.195
    nameserver 72.14.183.109
    nameserver 208.115.203.209
    nameserver 69.164.196.21
    nameserver 216.167.252.195
    nameserver 216.167.252.197
    nameserver 216.167.252.196
    nameserver 67.212.90.199
    nameserver 2001:470:8388:10:0:100:53:20"

[no quotes.]

here s what my dhclient.conf looks like;
    "dhclient -r
    dhclient
    prepend domain-name-servers 69.197.154.207, 2600:3c02::f03c:91ff:fedf:ed0f;"
    [again no quotes].

I go here; http://useopennic.org/connection.php? and only 4 out of 7 connections pass, the rest fails all of the ip6 fails what shall I do in the netcard settings I have the first 2 entries of each ip6 and ip4 in the manual dns entries wndow.
    I can resolve .pirate and .geek addresses however.
    Oh ya 'm running ubuntu 11.04
    Last edited by Ultra Cronic; July 24th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Cronic View Post
    I go here; http://useopennic.org/connection.php? and only 4 out of 7 connections pass, the rest fails all of the ip6 fails what shall I do in the netcard settings I have the first 2 entries of each ip6 and ip4 in the manual dns entries wndow.
    I can resolve .pirate and .geek addresses however.
    Oh ya 'm running ubuntu 11.04

From the bottom of that page -:

If you see any green check marks you are set, this feature isn't fully completed and as such not all the images are working yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes i use opennic, no you can't just change resolv.conf, at least not with ubuntu defaults... You see, ubuntu uses resolvconf and this messes whatever you put in /etc/resolv.conf, you need to change either network manager config, or edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf if you use dynamic ip to prepend dns IPs, or use /etc/network/interfaces dns option if you configure your nic there, or get rid of resolvconf

By using alternate dns you can skip some idiotic censorship imposed by foreign countries wanting to become world police, or the silly ads when a domain is not registered. Unfortunately without a dns cache, it might increase your resolving latencies considerably (or lower them if your ISP really really sucks). Ubuntu also happens to use a dns cache which is why you see the mysterious 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf by default nowdays...

http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How can I get some free space+mysql to make a Opennic website?
    (for example, registering http://Ubuntu.oss (register here )
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*