Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype ethics and Ubuntu/Canonical: logic fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Skype ethics and Ubuntu/Canonical: logic fails

I am referring to this page

now...

if you go in the Software Center > Canonical's partner > what do you find?

Skype.

I am the only one to spot some un-logic (illogic) there?
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Skpe ethics and Ubuntu/Canonical: logic fails

Canonical's partner is a Third-Party repository. It's neither officially supported nor maintained by the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    I am the only one to spot some un-logic (illogic) there?
    Which bit do you reckon is illogical? It's in the partner repo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think I know where Alexan is coming from here, but because Skype is in the 3rd party repository its almost like saying that Cannonical admit that Skype exists and people may want to use it in Ubuntu but they dont offer support for it.

Remember if Ubuntu is going to be used by the big wide world it will need companies to develop software for it so for Cannonical to restrict 3rd party software developers would compare to the way Apple block Flash simply because they wont play ball with Mr Jobs...

Beans

It doesn't make any sense for Skype to open their code up. They already have a more successful, better quality and more widely used platform than any of the open source packages listed there. Proof that open source is not always better.
    Last edited by Johnsie; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Ernie View Post
    its almost like saying that Cannonical admit that Skype exists and people may want to use it in Ubuntu but they dont offer support for it.
    It's not almost like. It's exactly like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let us not confuse Ubuntu with Cannonical. They are different entities. It is not impossible for Cannonical to produce its own closed source software which it may or may not distribute without charge. It is a commercial company after all.

No one can claim that Ubuntu has not informed them about the situation with Skype. Ubuntu is Open Source, and all that, but with user choice. I think that this is a good thing.

I have a friend in Russia. He has Windows on his machine. He has not accepted my invitation and recommendation to use Ubuntu. He has Skype installed. He wants to talk to me. I want to talk to him without the cost of a telephone call. So, I am thankful that I was able to download Skype through the Ubuntu Software Centre. Otherwise he would have to download a Windows version of an Open Source program. But he already has Skype.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    It doesn't make any sense for Skype to open their code up. They already have a more successful, better quality and more widely used platform than any of the open source packages listed there. Proof that open source is not always better.
    It wasn't saying open source was needed to make Skype better - but so people could analyze the source code to create newer rival applications.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans

Re: Skype ethics and Ubuntu/Canonical: logic fails

I do not mind proprietary software, I just generally do not like relying on it. Skype is a software I am glad to have available even if I only make mild use of it. I can control it's inclusion or removal.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Skype ethics and Ubuntu/Canonical: logic fails

I have Skype too for people I know that use it on non-linux machines. Its still free to download and I am not expected to buy credit or anything like that to use it so I don't see a problem with using it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast