Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine menu in 11.04 (Unity)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wine menu in 11.04 (Unity)

I just upgraded one installation to 11.04, and this is my 1st experience with Unity. In 10.10 I had a "Wine" sub-menu in the Application Menu, just like the Internet, Office, Sound & Video sub-menus.

Now in 11.04 I click on the file manager and it pulls up Nautilus with /usr/share/applications. I'm pretty sure my Wine applications aren't there since the executables are not kept in that directory in previous releases. It may matter that I was using the ubuntu-wine PPA (Scott Ritchie's) before the upgrade.

How is (or will) Wine menus be organized in Unity 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wine menu in 11.04 (Unity)

It is going to be a bit 11.04 is not even in Alpha 1 yet. It is very unstable and everyday
    is going to be a new set of problems. It is not meant for daily use just for testing.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

I had a similar experience, though I just upgraded my netbook from 10.04 to 10.10 in preparation to the 11.04 release, and it has Unity as the desktop manager already. I thought that was coming out in 11.04. Anyways, I first noticed the All Applications only shows the first 100, which I looked up and that will get released properly with Natty according tot he bug tracker, but I don't see my WinE menu either. Heck I can't even find WinE as an app in any of the menus. SO Unity is production in 10.10 at least for the netbook it seems as I've gone with just stable release packages for my configuration.
    Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

I am trying beta2 of 11.04 and all of the OPs comments still seem to apply.

I have installed wine from the Software centre and the only way to run MS software installed under wine is by browsing to them using the "browse C drive" application to find the .exe and double clicking it. Is there a way of creating an icon for Wine or for the MS app under wine within the launcher? Am I missing something?

So far, Unity seems really good!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

right-click -> Keep in launcher?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mmm........

Most app icons can be dragged to the launcher (right clicking does nothing), but there is no icon for WINE in applications and the icon for the .exe cannot be dropped in the launcher. Wine is working (by navigating to and double clicking the .exe icon), its just an issue of getting it into a menu somewhere.

Beans

well now I can find the wine application, but there is still no wine submenu.

Are they going to fix it?

Beans

Just spent a while trying to figure this out, any word on it?

Beans

Anyone knows what to do? I made launcher that leads me to wine's c but now all my folder's are grouped under that icon when I open them instead of home, plus it's still pain to find right .exe file

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by N_L View Post
    Anyone knows what to do? I made launcher that leads me to wine's c but now all my folder's are grouped under that icon when I open them instead of home, plus it's still pain to find right .exe file
    You might find it better to use the Home Folder and create some quicklist entries (r. click on icon) to open nautilus at the locations of your .exe's
    This link gives the basic's how to do
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/35024...-icon-in-unity

So as an example I use Imgburn in wine. If I wanted to add it's folder location to the Home Folder the quicklist entry in nautilus-home.desktop would look like this (using '.....' to account for space in path

Code:
    [ImgBurn Shortcut Group]
    Name=Imgburn
    Exec=nautilus --no-desktop '.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ImgBurn'
    TargetEnvironment=Unity
    Atm I only have 2 wine progs and being curious about have added as standalone icons to the launcher (probably won't keep, just curious..
    The big thing was to have the added icon control the prog, not just open it then have a 'Wine Windows Program Loader' icon open and control the prog.

Have managed to do so though on one install had to edit mimeinfo.cache and or bamf.index, not sure which
    screen shows both open and under their icon's control

To add to the launcher the prog needs a .desktop, in both cases I put the .desktop in ~/.local/share/applications, ran once by d. clicking on to ck. and then added to launcher

Ex. of the 2 .desktops

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=ImgBurn
    Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/doug/.wine" wine C:\\\\Program\\ Files\\\\ImgBurn\\\\ImgBurn.exe 
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Path=/home/doug/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/ImgBurn
    Icon=/home/doug/.local/share/icons/b06c_imgburn.0.png
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=vobblanker
    Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/doug/.wine" wine C:\\\\Program\\ Files\\\\VobBlanker\\\\VobBlanker.exe 
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Path=/home/doug/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/VobBlanker
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/Humanity/mimes/32/video-x-generic.svg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; May 8th, 2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: code better than quote box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast