Thread: Can you explain these permission issues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you explain these permission issues?

Hi all

Running Transmission on Headless Server with SAMBA.

Transmission currently writing to a SAMBA folder (media\data\Torrents\Complete) using username debian-transmission. This works fine.

Samba user is richard. richard has been added to the debian-transmission group. debian-transmission and richard have both been added to the SAMBA group media-data.

richard can mv (move) FILES from the Torrents folder to \media\data\~Incoming\ folder, but cannot mv FOLDERS to the \media\data\~Incoming folder.

See directory print below:

richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$ ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 2010-12-01 23:04 test
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 5007312 2010-12-01 18:24 test.zip

richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$ mv -v test/ ../../~Incoming/
    mv: cannot move `test/' to `../../~Incoming/test': Permission denied

richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$ mv test.zip ../../~Incoming/
    richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$

richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$ ls -l ../../~Incoming/
    total 4892
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 5007312 2010-12-01 18:24 test.zip
    richard@ubuntu:/media/data/Torrents/Complete$

Any ideas? The permissions for user and group and exactly the same for both file and folder, so why can I move a file, but not a folder?

This is also only for folders that are created by the debian-transmission user.

Samba config is:

[Data]
    path = /media/data/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = richard
    force group = media-data

Hmmmm....now that I think about this more....my Samba permissions should probably be: directory-mask = 0777

Is that right?
    First with the Head,
    Then with the Heart!
    - Power of One

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can you explain these permission issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunnsby View Post
    Any ideas? The permissions for user and group and exactly the same for both file and folder, so why can I move a file, but not a folder?
    To modify the contents of a directory requires write permission. If you have write permission on some directory, you can add files to it, rename and delete files from it.

You can move test.zip because you have write permission for /media/data/Torrents/Complete

But, you need write permission for /media/data/Torrents/Complete/test in order to be able to move its content.

See:
    http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/aun...ermissions.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can you explain these permission issues?

Thanks sisco311

I have read through, and understand, but have a different issue now. As debian-transmission is writing and moving the files once they are completed in transmission, I cannot do anything unless I go to the command-line and sudo mv the directories myself.

Anyway around that? Any chance of being able to change the user that is uses to create the files?
    First with the Head,
    Then with the Heart!
    - Power of One