Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else had a call from PC Wizard?

Beans

Has anyone else had a call from PC Wizard?

This afternoon I get a phone call from a company called PC Wizard. It went a bit like this.

'Sir, we have reason to believe that through your Windows operating system you have downloaded some malicious software from the internet which can cause serious damage to your computer and greatly impact upon system performance'.

I then said that I doubted that was true since I don't use a Windows operating system. He then said that since I use Apple Mac I may still be at risk. My response was that I don't use a Mac either. I use Linux. He replied by apologising for calling (in a rather disappointed tone of voice) and put the phone down.

It seems they're cold-calling people and trying to frighten them into believing that their computers are at risk from malware in the hope of selling anti-virus software. It's a pretty disgusting tactic in my opinion.

I was just wondering how often this is happening and whether anyone else has had a call like this.

andy
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Has anyone else had a call from PC Wizard?

'Sir, we have reason to believe that through your Windows operating system you have downloaded some malicious software from the internet which can cause serious damage to your computer and greatly impact upon system performance'.
    Sounds like fraud to me... They seem to be posing as some sort of authority.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Surely the only way they could know if I'd downloaded any malware is if they were monitoring my internet connection. It's worrying how many people might fall for it.
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

Beans

PC Wizard was fishing for info sounds like a scam of some sort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andymorton View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Surely the only way they could know if I'd downloaded any malware is if they were monitoring my internet connection. It's worrying how many people might fall for it.
    Well, the other way they could know is if they produced the malware that you downloaded and either A) it called home, or B) they tracked your IP back you you.

I doubt either of those are the case and they are just cold calling people. Really shady if you ask me.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Well, the other way they could know is if they produced the malware that you downloaded and either A) it called home, or B) they tracked your IP back you you.

I doubt either of those are the case and they are just cold calling people. Really shady if you ask me.
    Good point, I didn't think of that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Not that much different from any other form of advertising.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_junkie View Post
    I'd completely forgotten but I read that article at the time it was published. Hopefully they'll be caught and prosecuted as soon as possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its all done so they can get your bank account details.

I got a weird call from someone with an Indian accent saying that he worked for Microsoft and that they got a call from my ISP saying that my internet was slow and that they(Microsoft) could upgrade it.

Thought this was a load of BS so i talked the usual garbage to avoid talking to him any further.

Why would my ISP tell Microsoft, to tell me that my internet was slow and that it could be upgraded.

Quite clearly this guy wasn't from Microsoft because they wouldn't tell me that there's upgrade/solution, they would just deny that there was a problem and let me suffer lmao
    Last edited by cra1g321; December 1st, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast