Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Windows 7 comfortable with Ubuntu settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Getting Windows 7 comfortable with Ubuntu settings

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    ...I want all the files I save in it to go to the Downloads folder in the Wndows partition...
    If you're including files you download while running Ubuntu, and if that Windows partition is your Win7 OS partition -- then NO, you do NOT want the files written there.

Writing to a Win7 OS partition from inside Ubuntu, as others have already told you, is asking for trouble -- possible data corruption in Windows, leaving the Win7 OS as unbootable.

IF you're going to write to a Windows partition from inside Ubuntu, then you need to have a separate DATA partition. Those are not bootable, so you don't run the same risk as with Windows OS partitions.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

It's not a Windows shortcut, it's a Linux symbolic link.

I'm not too familiar with Windows shortcuts, but I believe they behave like files, rather than folders, so you can't use them for a lot of things. Symbolic links do not have any limitations, as far as I know.

For all intents and purposes, my "Link to Documents" and "/media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Documents" are one and the same. If I create a file in "/home/wormzy/Link to Documents", the file gets written to the NTFS partition, but it is available at both "/media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Documents/randomfile.txt" and "/home/wormzy/Link to Documents/randomfile.txt". The file is in one location, but is accessible from multiple addresses. This is the same behaviour that binding accomplishes. If symlinking isn't doing what you want, then binding will not be of any use to you.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can't we do symlink with an existing folder? And I'm not giving up just yet, tell me more about binding, please.

Beans

You just add an entry to your fstab file for each folder you want to bind, and where you want it bound.

I have five bound folders, Documents, Downloads, Videos, Pictures, and Music (Collection). Here's what the corresponding fstab entries look like:

Code:
    #mount storage partition
    UUID=7A5C94995C94522D                     /media/Terastore        ntfs-3g auto,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=002 0 0
    #bind Music folder
    /media/Terastore/Collection/              /home/wormzy/Collection none    bind                            0 0
    #bind Pictures folder
    /media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Pictures/   /home/wormzy/Pictures   none    bind                            0 0
    #bind Documents folder
    /media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Documents/  /home/wormzy/Documents  none    bind                            0 0
    #bind Downloads folder
    /media/Terastore/Downloads/               /home/wormzy/Downloads  none    bind                            0 0
    #bind Videos folder
    /media/Terastore/Videos/                  /home/wormzy/Videos     none    bind                            0 0
    The only major difference between binding and symlinks is that you can't rename a bind point without updating your fstab file, otherwise the binding will fail.

Oh, and no, you can't create a symlink on top of an existing directory. If you use the command line and specify a directory as the "link name", it will create a symlink inside the folder, not on top of it.
    Last edited by WorMzy; December 5th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Well, now you know a limitation of symlink. And is binding done on top of an existing directory. I'm not getting what binding exactly does.

Beans

Yes, you must bind onto an existing directory.

After the bind, /home/wormzy/Documents behaves in the same way as "/home/wormzy/Link to Documents" does. Save a file to /home/wormzy/Documents, and it will be written to the NTFS partition, and will be accessible from both /home/wormzy/Documents, and /media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Documents.

Beans
    Distro

Hell yeah! This is exactly what I was looking for! My infinite thanks to you!

Beans
    Distro

Oh yeah, we don't need to mount the entire filesystem, do we?

Beans

Yes, you do. You have to mount the filesystem so that the folders you're binding are actually there. In my case, if /media/Terastore isn't mounted, then /media/Terastore/Users/WorMzy/Documents doesn't exist, and consequently will not be bound to /home/wormzy/Documents.

Beans
    Distro

All right, I think I'm ready do this. And again my thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123