Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup to Google

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Backup to Google

Could I use rSync to backup to Google? I wanted to use my Google account to store my back ups from my pc. I really only have one or two main folders. Right now, I just email myself with the files attached. It would be nice to have them transferred to Google. I am not sure if that can be done with something like rSync or some other backup utility?
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

Beans
    Distro

Re: Backup to Google

I know Google allows a user to upload files now using the Google docs on their server. So, if I encrypted the files / folders first, then I could just upload them like that to the Google server. I was thinking that I could do an automatic backup with rSync right into Google, but I need to learn more about rSync first.

Beans
    Hidden!

well, google changes his api sometimes, so that would give problems. Can't you use things like dropbox or ubuntu one? Those are made to backup files in the cloud. They both give 2 GB for free.

Beans
    Distro

I did not know about Ubuntu One. I will look into it. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!

that's it. it almost saved my life once, when I lost an important work but I had synced it to the ubuntu one server.

Beans
    Distro

Is it pretty safe?

Or should I encrypt my files first, then upload them to Ubuntu One?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not an expert in that area. It's safe in the way of "you won't lose data" but I don't know if it's safe it the way "nobody will see your data". There are share options, but if you use the web client everything happens via https. I don't know what type of connection the destop client uses.

I believe it's pretty safe since they also use the framework for there ubuntu one music store (in rhythmbox) I don't think they would handle money via an unsafe connection. But don't assume I'm right, as said, I'm not an expert.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Here's a great guide for comparing backup services side-by-side. I use Dropbox, but if you're concerned about security, look into SpiderOak. UbuntuOne desktop sync is not encrypted, however, Dropbox and SpiderOak are.
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

Beans
    Hidden!

hmmm the comparision isn't so good. the table says dropbox has encryption and ubuntu one not (with a link to a bug report to add encription). But if you look to the bug, it's about encrypted files on the server, not about the encryption of the connection. And dropbox also doesn't encrypt his files on the server.

So dropbox and ubuntu one are equally safe. SpiderOak is probably safer, but I never tried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast