Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to record online sound

Beans

How to record online sound

Hi again,
    I needed to record some online sounds for some effects I'm looking to add to a home video. Via XP I'd just have to click on the volume tab in the tray and switch recording to 'what you hear' and any sound piping through the PC I could record via Audacity. Via Ubuntu, I can't seem to figure out how to accompish the same thing. I've clicked on every variation on Sound preferences/Input, but nothing seems to work - the graph on Audacity stays flat as a tack.

Can anyone clue me in on what I'm missing here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to record online sound

Go to Applications-->Sound & Video and see if Sound Recorder appears there.
    If not, then go to Synaptic Package Manager and search for gnome-sound-recorder.
    Install it, and it should then appear in Sound & Video.
    HP 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD, AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1Gb, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio

Beans

Actually, I already tried that as an alternative to Audacity, just in case it was a software issue. I clicked up Youtube, recorded sound from the first thing I saw, and the file generated came up a dud - not a peep on it. Something, somewhere, needs to be enabled, but I'm so unfamiliar with Ubuntu that I don't know where to look.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Solved it - I think! I managed to get recordings in both Audacity and Sound recorder by switching to microphone 1 - that's the only thing that would register while recording - the other four choices registered nothing in the recordings. Only problem is that, even though I've set the input volume right up, the recordings are at a very low volume. I can boost it later in a program like Audacity, but it would be better to have it recording at the right volume to minimize distortion in the amplitude boosting. Is there a master input volume control elsewhere that needs to bumped up?
    Last edited by timbo59; November 30th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Go to System--> Preferences--> Sound
    Click on Sound, then click on the tab for Input.
    That should take care of your problem.
    HP 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD, AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1Gb, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio

Beans

Just to return to this, I recently tried again, but the volume was just atrocious. I had to bump it up by 23db in Audacity, which got it to where it should be, but amplified background static to ridiculous proportions, as would be expected. Trying to remove the unwanted sound affected the sound file too much.

I had already gone the route of checking System/preferences/sound - the input volume is set to max.

I just can't figure this. Never had such a problem before with my old computer on XP - all I had to do was hit 'what you hear' and everything worked swimmingly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

vlc is able to dump streamed data to a file, also you can use ffmpeg to rip audio track directly from the source - completed flash movies from youtube or whatever can be found in the cache of your browser.

Beans

Thanks....I'll give that side of it a whirl.

Any ideas on why the input volume is so low? What's strange is that the output side of it is fine - if I play something off youtube the volume is loud and clear - yet if record the same bit via Audacity the input levels shown are very low, even with the input volume level set at max.

Beans

Hi again,
    Okay, I've been playing around with VLC but can't quite figure what you mean by dumping to a file. How exactly do I make VLC do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

make sure the input mic is turned up. try "alsamixer" in the terminal then press "F4" for all the capture devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast