Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to programming

Beans

New to programming

So, I wanted to learn a programming language that would enable me to make Android/iPhone apps/games, high quality ones actually. My only programming knowledge is C, just the basics that I learned in college. I was wonder what's the best language for programming Android/iPhone apps and where exactly do I start looking for guides and stuff to read and try?
    Thanks a lot

Beans

Re: New to programming

Android Apps are programmed in Java.
    Iphone Apps are programmed in Objective-C.

If you want to develop for them, you should familiarize yourself with those languages.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Once you focus on a language, review the stickies in this section for suggestions on tutorials, IDEs, etc. Then come back here with questions as needed, because the best resources available for programming help are here, and I'm not talking about myself.
    OpenSUSE: Dell Inspiron 8600 and Gateway GT5678
    MacOS X 10.5.8 PowerBook G4 12"
    Linux user #: 501795

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, you really need a Mac running Mac OS X and the iOS developer kit from Apple. This has has the Xcode IDE, the APIs and device simulator. Although gcc is the compiler used by Xcode and you can play with Objective-C on Linux, it's not Objective-C 2.0, which is what you need for the Apple devices and APIs.

Beans

So let's say I decided to learn Java, so I can make Android apps/games, where do I start from? Do I need to have an actual phone too or not, bec I heard there is an emulator.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even though there are similarities in syntax, Java and Android is not the same. You should concentrate on learning Android to develop Android apps, not take the detour of learning Java first.

Your first step should be to download the Android SDK and read about how to set it up:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk
    http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/39101

Next step is to learn the IDE you will work in. For Android development I'd suggest using Eclipse with the ADT plugin:
    http://www.vogella.de/articles/Android/article.html

Try to develop some simple apps and test them with emulator.

Only when (and if) you feel confident in Android development you should consider investing in an Android phone and learn how to deploy your apps on a real device.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by teddy379 View Post
    So, I wanted to learn a programming language that would enable me to make Android/iPhone apps/games, high quality ones actually. My only programming knowledge is C, just the basics that I learned in college. I was wonder what's the best language for programming Android/iPhone apps and where exactly do I start looking for guides and stuff to read and try?
    Thanks a lot
    For C there's the Android NDK.
    Homepage | GitHub | Blog | Pay some of us a visit at #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vrnsng View Post
    i found a great suggection for programming who is providing the new technology for new foundation
    Reported as spammer.
    Francisco Camenforte Torres
    http://fmct.blogspot.com

The Apress site has some good books to get you going if you like to do it that way. I have one or two of them and prefer to buy the e-books myself.
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast