Thread: Trouble with MP4 Files

Beans

Trouble with MP4 Files

Hello people,

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, although I'm loving it. I'm running it in a virtual machine right now, because when I tried to dual boot my computer, it broke my hard drive. Long story...

I'm having a problem playing .mp4 files though. My phone only takes videos in this file format, and most of the time I'm working with large amounts of files, so converting them isn't an option. I've tried many different players, and they all lag like crazy, making the video nearly unwatchable. This is a huge flaw for me, and one reason I'm not bothering to try dual booting again...

So, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Trouble with MP4 Files

Sounds like you don't have all the needed codecs. Have you tried them with VLC? If it's the same in that, as it uses it's own codecs, then is sounds like a graphics problem. Need more info on your system but try it in VLC first. Also you can run another video player in the terminal and you may get some error readings....
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what kind of phone do you have and what os does it support. i04, android. this would be helful in diagnosis of things

Beans

I wouldn't expect smooth playback through VirtualBox (especially if HD video is used inside the m4 container), even with a really good CPU.
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?