Thread: HP Printer driver issues in Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HP Printer driver issues in Maverick

Ok, I had my printer setup with Lucid, and didn't have a problem. I have a HP Laserjet 1022n it is setup/plugged in directly to my router. In Lucid I didn't have a problem. Here is the issue now.
    I know the IP address and set it up as AppSocket/HP JetDirect and plugin the IP address. When I get to the driver page I have 4 to choose from and am not sure what the difference is or what to pick. Here are my 5 choices, and a few notes that I have made about them.

Code:
    Foomatic/foo2zjs
    With this one I can print via command line, however GUI (OO.o and evince) printing is problematic. Also lacking the options when I select Print -> Properties -> Device (tab) it is lacking the media type.

Code:
    hpjis pcl3 3.10.6
    I can print via GUI but command line printing doesn't work, just sets there processing. GUI printing the printer just shuts off??? No lights lit, I have to shut it off and turn it back on, odd.

Code:
    hpijs zjs 3.10.6
    Not sure.

Code:
    pcl, hpcups 3.10.6
    Not sure.

Code:
    zjs hpcups 3.10.6
    Not sure.

I really don't know what all these are, or what the differences are. If anyone has info, links or something I would be interested in knowing the difference, and what is the best. I print both with GUI and command line often. Thank you for ANY help you can offer because this is really a frustration for me.

Shane
    Last edited by shane2peru; November 27th, 2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HP Printer driver issues in Maverick

Just went through a very similar experience. I have the HP Laserjet 1020, which is very similar to yours and uses the same driver. I got mine to work by installing hplip, it's in the repo's, then, from the command line, "hp-setup -i".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gabhla View Post
    Just went through a very similar experience. I have the HP Laserjet 1020, which is very similar to yours and uses the same driver. I got mine to work by installing hplip, it's in the repo's, then, from the command line, "hp-setup -i".
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! After running through that now I think I did do that on Lucid. I certainly wouldn't have remembered that! Thanks a bundle! I will try this out for a few days before marking this solved.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I thought that had fixed it, but problems trying to print today. It is really weird and very annoying. It did print fine for a while with that setup, however with that setup I can't select the media type (thick stock) which them messes things up when printing on thick stock. This is still a problem.

Shane