Thread: Cannot use Terminal Server when connected through wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cannot use Terminal Server when connected through wifi

Hello.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Sony Vaio. I use Terminal Server to connect to other computer that runs on Windows XP. I can do it perfectly if my Vaio is connected to the internet via LAN, but it doesn't work if I'm connected through wifi. In the past both methods worked, what could have happened?

Thanks very much.

PS: I've tested it with Ubuntu 10.04 and the same happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot use Terminal Server when connected through wifi

You may wish to check and see if the XP computer you are trying to connect to is also on wireless. Many wireless routers / wireless access points have a feature called AP Isolation which hides wireless clients from each other. If your XP system is on wireless as well, I would try checking your router/access point configuration to see if AP Isolation is turned on.

Just one thing to check while you wait for the heavy ubuntu helpers to show up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Cannot use Terminal Server when connected through wifi

Thank you, Tobeus, but that's not the case. The XP computer is connected through LAN with static IP. I can access to it perfectly from LAN (i.e. LAN to LAN) but not from wifi (wifi to LAN)... using the same home connection! I mean, if I connect my laptop directly to the router, I can connect to the remote computer; but if I connect to the same router via wifi, I can't!

The same thing happens if I try to do it through a corporate network: it works using LAN, it does't using wifi. In all cases the XP computer is connected via LAN.

Thanks again.