Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown command (loadfont) - Will not boot

Beans

Re: Unknown command (loadfont) - Will not boot

i installed wubi on my msws7se netbook because i thought wubi is less invasive and therefore safer. bcbc's comments make me think wubi isn't such a good idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Pusher View Post
    i installed wubi on my msws7se netbook because i thought wubi is less invasive and therefore safer. bcbc's comments make me think wubi isn't such a good idea.
    There are two issues with Wubi and Grub.

The first affects only the Wubi install, if you installed on the same partition as Windows i.e. C: drive. This is the one that stops Ubuntu booting after updating grub if you are on 10.04.1.

The second only affects installs that aren't on the same partition as Windows. It presents the screen asking where to install the grub bootloader during grub updates. This can lead a user unfamiliar with grub to overwrite their bootloader in the master boot record. This is actually easier to fix, since you just have to reinstall the bootloader. (The only issue might be if you have an OEM computer with a custom bootloader).

My feeling is when you choose to dual boot with an unfamiliar OS, whether through Wubi or a direct dual boot, of course there is always some risk. Wubi is no exception. But I wouldn't characterize Wubi as risky.

Right now I'd say, just avoid any updates to packages grub-pc and grub-common.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    OK do this instead:
    Boot a live CD, then edit grub.cfg as follows:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/win 
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win
    sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt
    sudo cp /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg.copy
    sudo chmod +w /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    gksu gedit /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Delete all lines up to (not including) the first line that starts with "menuentry"
    Save, reboot.
    You really dont need to delete the functions as they come in handy. The problem is that there are two places in the .cfg that get addressed wrongly, and as far as i can see, it should only affect people on wubi. Below you can see (I marked the lines red) where it goes wrong. The root.disk is not found in that folder if the root is set to (hd0,2) (this is true as long as its not the partition win is installed). So we need to correct these two lines to loopback loop0 /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk as the root is going to be the point ubuntu is installed, and in this file system the root.disk is under the /host/.../ (in my case and in default webui install).

A part of my old grub.cfg file. (actually this is generated if you do sudo update-grub when booted):

Code:
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8ce2a4f2e2a4e226
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=640x480
      insmod gfxterm
      insmod vbe
      if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
        # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
        # understand terminal_output
        terminal gfxterm
      fi
    fi
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    set root=(loop0)
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en
    Last edited by WhatAbout; November 27th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WhatAbout View Post
    You really dont need to delete the functions as they come in handy. The problem is that there are two places in the .cfg that get addressed wrongly, and as far as i can see, it should only affect people on wubi. Below you can see (I marked the lines red) where it goes wrong. The root.disk is not found in that folder if the root is set to (hd0,2) (this is true as long as its not the partition win is installed). So we need to correct these two lines to loopback loop0 /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk as the root is going to be the point ubuntu is installed, and in this file system the root.disk is under the /host/.../ (in my case and in default webui install).

A part of my old grub.cfg file. (actually this is generated if you do sudo update-grub when booted):

Code:
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    set root=(loop0)
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=640x480
      insmod gfxterm
      insmod vbe
      if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
        terminal gfxterm
      fi
    fi
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    set root=(loop0)
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en
    No that's not true. Set root=(hd0,2) sets / to the second partition (/dev/sda2) which in this case is your windows partition. Then /ubuntu/disks/root.disk is actually your root.disk.
    It's mounted as /host in the booted wubi install, but grub has to load itself (most of grub is on the root.disk).

You can go to a grub prompt and try it (assuming your windows partition is /dev/sda2):
    ls (hd0,2)/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    is the same as:
    set root=(hd0,2)
    ls /ubuntu/disks/root.disk

Furthermore, that loopback line is actually what allows grub to find the kernel and initramfs to load ubuntu. Without it, you cannot boot a wubi install. (You'll see it later in the menuentries)

Beans

The fact is that it is the root.disk grub cant find. And that if you specify that it is located in the /host folder the boot up will proceed normally.

I just went through with my own laptop and now my desktop. They had the same boot problem after the recent common-grub updates.
    Last edited by WhatAbout; November 27th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WhatAbout View Post
    The fact is that it is the root.disk grub cant find. And that if you specify that it is located in the /host folder the boot up will proceed normally.

I just went through with my own laptop and now my desktop. They had the same boot problem after the recent common-grub updates.
    On the contrary, that grub.cfg file is actually stored on the root.disk. So if grub can't see the root.disk, how can it see the grub.cfg file?

Beans

Been having the same problem, this is how I manipulated grub.cfg:

#if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
    # set gfxmode=640x480
    # insmod gfxterm
    # insmod vbe
    # if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # terminal gfxterm
    # fi
    #fi

The whole block using the loadfont command has been commented out... smooth booting afterwards... use it at your own risk!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by regindk View Post
    Been having the same problem, this is how I manipulated grub.cfg:

#if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
    # set gfxmode=640x480
    # insmod gfxterm
    # insmod vbe
    # if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # terminal gfxterm
    # fi
    #fi

The whole block using the loadfont command has been commented out... smooth booting afterwards... use it at your own risk!
    That works. When you see what command is causing the failure you can eliminate that from the code.

When 10.10 came out there were other commands/functions that weren't working with the upgrade e.g. gfxterm. I tried eliminating the loadfont section but it didn't work. Eventually I got it to work but it was a time consuming process to try to pin down the exact points of failure.
    In the end I found it simply easier to delete all lines up to the first menuentry. It may be a bit extreme, but I haven't noticed any difference in function.
    It's also easier to explain and easier to do.

Beans

Just wanted to comment, as a newbie, what didn't work at first with the proposed solution was that the "win" folder was actually "Acer"... so when I changed that, I didn't get any error messages... just trying to help

cheers

Beans

Hi all, I tried the wubildr copy trick and it failed for me: I still get the error message. Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't allow me to boot from a CD: even with a Live CD inserted I get the windows/ubuntu boot menu. What possibilities do I have to get my laptop to boot from CD?

Thanks,
    Andreas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast