Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Novell To be acquired by attachmate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Novell To be acquired by attachmate

Welcome fellow /.ers my username is Anonymous Coward nice to see im not the only one out here

In all fairness, I personally don't care about Novell, but I am glad that Oracle didn't buy them. Uncertain times thes may become, but I think there are enough people vested to make sure that we all come out on top.

P.S: I just couldn't resist.

EDIT:
    Doh! I just blew my cover!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Wow, I don't look at Slashdot for one day and this happens! It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Novell through the years

1979: Novell Data Systems is founded in Provo, Utah, as a maker of computers and disk operating systems.

1983: Safeguard Scientifics, a venture capital firm, reincorporates NDSI as Novell, Inc, with Ray Noorda becoming president and CEO. Company introduces NetWare, a network operating system that by the early 1990s would claim a 70% market share.

1986: Introduces GroupWise messaging and collaboration software.

1993: Acquires Unix System Laboratories from AT&T, securing rights to the Unix operating system (parts of which would be transferred to the Santa Cruz operation two years later).

1994: Acquires WordPerfect and Quattro Pro from Borland, only to sell them to Corel shortly afterward. Robert Frankenberg replaces Noorda as CEO. NetWare 4.0 is released.

1996: Announces plan to make company's products "Internet-ready."

1997: Eric Schmidt becomes CEO.

1999: Microsoft Windows 2000 tops NetWare for NOS market leadership position.

: Acquires Massachusetts-based Cambridge Technology Partners, whose CEO Jack Messman would later become CEO of Novell.

2002: Acquires SilverStream Software, which specializes in Web services-oriented application development.

2003: Acquired open source application developer Ximian, as well as SuSE, maker of a leading Linux distribution, marking the company's commitment to a future product line based on Linux.

2005: Released Open Enterprise Server, which offered a choice between a NetWare or SuSE Linux Enterprise Server kernel.

2006: Ronald Hovsepian replaces Messman as CEO. Company announces controversial joint patent agreement with Microsoft.

2009: Reorganizes into two business units called: Security, Management, and Operating Platforms; and Collaboration Solutions.

March, 2010: Declines buyout offer from Elliott Associates, L.P., which owns about 8.5% of the company's stock.

Nov. 22, 2010: Agrees to be acquired by Attachmate for $2.2 billion, which includes the $450-million sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings, a technology consortium led by Microsoft.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...e.html?hpg1=bn

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New Development (or at least I haven't seen it mentioned here). Looks like the door to a shareholder lawsuit has been opened. At minimum, this will gum up the works and possibly put the deal on hold.

"DALLAS--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Kendall Law Group, led by former federal judge Joe Kendall, is investigating Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ: NOVL) for shareholders in connection with the proposed acquisition by Attachmate Corporation. The national securities firm’s investigation seeks to determine whether Novell and its Board breached their fiduciary duties by entering into the agreement without properly shopping for a deal that would provide better value for shareholders. If you are a Novell shareholder and would like additional information about your rights, contact the Kendall Law Group at 877-744-3728 or by email at skendall@kendalllawgroup.com. "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Innovate or pass on, it is of no surprise and it will not be the last we will see in the next 12 to 24 months.

Novell had been floundering for some time, as was Sun before it to mention two, others will follow.

A fire sale was all that was left for the Shareholders.
    Care to expand on that statement ? Who else is going belly up ?
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    1997: Eric Schmidt becomes CEO.
    I didn't realize Eric Schmidt was CEO of Novell...

Also you left off SCO vs Novell which started in 2003 and was finally somewhat capped last year. That for me anyway was one of the biggest things to hit Novell in the last decade short of them buying SuSE and Ximian.
    Last edited by samalex; November 23rd, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345