Thread: External Laptop Speakers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question External Laptop Speakers?

So recently my internal laptop speakers failed (due to a faulty headphone jack that won't switch back to speakers) and I am looking at USB and regular clip on speaker systems for laptops. Has anyone tried any of these systems yet that can suggest a decently affordable option? I was looking at a logitech one that seemed more than just a little pricey. The headphone jack itself still works, so usb or 3.5mm plug are both usable.

Thanks for any input on this subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: External Laptop Speakers?

I ended up ordering a logitech usb sound bar from newegg. I think it's the z305 model. Will test it out and see how it works in usb only mode. If it doesn't work, I can use the AUX in on the speakers with 3.5mm male2male cord. I think all I would have to do is set the usb speakers as the main sound device and it should fly. Anyway, I'll mark this as resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: External Laptop Speakers?

I've got the Logitech z205, which is a little smaller but probably uses the same audio IC. It works like a charm, volume and power buttons. Even the name comes up correctly under sound preferences.

I picked mine up because I usually use headphones for serious listening/gaming, and just needed something for the rest of the time. These things are meant for laptops though, so they just barely fit on my lcd monitor.