Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Internet Explorer

Beans

Re: Install Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by emoguitarist06 View Post
    I 100% Agree that Internet Explorer SUCKS!! As I am 100% Ubuntu my self
    BUT Unfortuantely there is a NEED for IE

myitlab.com a website used by my school requires IE! Even in their support/faq they recommend virtualizing Windows in either MAC/Linux to run IE since they're site uses Active X

minuteman a website for National Guard Tuition Assistance Requires IE

Usually it's a government or educational site that requires IE
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwilli View Post
    I wish IE6 were better supported in Wine. There are still some sites that just don't work right with other browsers. (Are you listening BSA?) I try to stay in Linux/Firefox whenever I can, but sometimes I just have to boot into XP via VirtualBox so I can use IE. (At least I don't have to boot into my Visa partition.)

I'm active in Scouting, and the some of the pages at scoutnet.scouting.org work in Firefox, but forget about Internet Advancement or Internet Charter Renewal. There are some functions that are IE specific. Very frustrating.
    You guys should give the User Agent Switcher, Firefox add-on a try, it just might (with a bit of luck) solve your problems.

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by emoguitarist06 View Post
    I 100% Agree that Internet Explorer SUCKS!! As I am 100% Ubuntu my self
    BUT Unfortuantely there is a NEED for IE

myitlab.com a website used by my school requires IE! Even in their support/faq they recommend virtualizing Windows in either MAC/Linux to run IE since they're site uses Active X

minuteman a website for National Guard Tuition Assistance Requires IE

Usually it's a government or educational site that requires IE
    Now I understand it.
    Never could imagine that IE could be important for some people because of your problems, never herad about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I seem to remember trying that or something like it a while ago. It didn't help in my case, but I'll give it another try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    You guys should give the User Agent Switcher, Firefox add-on a try, it just might (with a bit of luck) solve your problems.
    I installed it and tried it with setting user agent IE8. When I click on on of the buttons on the web page I get

Error: document.frmRoster.item is not a function
    Source File: https://scoutnet.scouting.org/IADV/u...entRoster.aspx
    Line: 61

Beans

Angry Re: Install Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by bobwyajnr View Post
    I am not sure exactly why you would need IE to work in Ubuntu... you haven't said. IE 6 is supported but badly. Basically Internet Explorer has too many hooks back into the Windows OS (which are not supported when running it in Wine). IE 7 and IE 8 support is even worse/less developed.

A native web browser (like Opera, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Chrome, Konquerer, etc.) is always going to give you a far better experience as an end user. Perhaps in the bad ole' days when IE had a monopoly it was a necessary evil but in recent times most webpages don't need activeX or other MS concoctions...

I'm afraid to say if you really can't live without Internet Explorer, in Ubuntu, the only option really is a virtualised MS OS (installed in VirtualBox, VMWare, etc). ReactOS isn't mature enough (even for a Virtual environment) yet.

Bob
    Hi..
    Same as emoguitarist06, there is need for IE at my work place. There is a system called HRMIS (Human Resource Management Information System) that need to use IE. It doesnt support any other browser. Yeah, its true that IE sucks.. I had it very much, but there is no other solution for me. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sadly to say, that as a LAMP Developer I still have to test sites in IE for cross browser compatibility testing. And EVEN Worse is this forces me to specifically have a VBox install of WinXP JUST to use IE.

My opinion... Internet Explorer needs to just Die. It doesn't provide any added value at all. Instead it monopolizes on proprietary plug-ins and active x controls (silverlight for one.. Thank you moonlight project for helping us out with that but, it is still the main reason why streaming netflix video's on ubuntu does NOT work).

If Microsucks would just follow standards (which they NEVER will) instead of trying to create their own the world would be a better place. However, we keep hacking away and making our Free OS better, our OS apps better. Eventually we shall win =P

Until then, Us web developers, online school users, government site users, have to take a walk of shame until a real solution becomes available. And the only real solution in my opinion is for IE to either Die, or conform to the standards and stop making life hard for everyone.

I have said my piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12