Thread: Nvidia GT430 Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nvidia GT430 Problem

I replaced my old Geforce 7600 card with a new Gt430 card on my secondary computer. It works perfectly in Windows 7 with the downloaded drivers but I haven't been able to get any drivers in Ubuntu 10.04. I followed the instructions at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates but when I tried to do a "sudo apt-get update" I got a 404 error message. I also tried the download script from Nvidia and got nowhere there too.

Video speeds were definitely improved in Windows 7 and I am hoping for the same improvement in Ubuntu 10.04. I'm using a dual core Athlon 3800 on Gigabyte motherboard with 2gb of DDR2 (This computer is about 5 years old). Any thoughts?

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nvidia GT430 Problem

Never mind - I got the drivers loaded. Big improvement on GLXGEARS performance but still not worth a cr*p for playing high definition .mts movie files from a Canon HD camcorder. The standard movie player in Windows 7 performs much better.

VLC in Linux is even worse than mplayer and Kino doesn't work at all.

Jerry

Beans

Re: Nvidia GT430 Problem

vlc doesn't support vdpau, and you have to specify that as the video ouput to get mplayer to use it...
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?